Friday, October 30, 2009

Tarragon Chicken



Today is Foodie Friday once again hosted by Designs by Gollum. Stop in at Designs by Gollum to see other participants who have shared some wonderful recipes.

Today I am sharing a recipe for Tarragon Chicken which is a recipe that comes from a book that I recently purchased, Slow Cooler: The Best Cookbook Ever. I had looked for a long time for a really good book for slow cookers and this one is in my opinion, exceptional. Also, not too long ago I purchased the All Clad slow cooker which is the one that has the insert that you can use on top of the stove to prep ingredients and then place it back into the slow cooker. I am extremely happy with this piece of equipment but needed some inspiration to use it more often. This book, Slow Cooler: The Best Cookbook Ever was a good purchase.




Tarragon Chicken

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 chicken breast halves, skin and bones removed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 pound white button mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon, plus additional for garnish

Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides. Transfer the chicken to the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker.

Add the garlic, onion, mushrooms, and dried tarragon to the skillet and saute' until the onion is softened and the mushroom liquid has evaporated, 7 to 10 minutes. Deglaze the skillet with the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.

Transfer the contents of the skillet to the slow-cooker insert. Add the broth and mustard to the cooker and stir to combine. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours.

Add cream, cornstarch, and two talbespoons fresh tarragon to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes on high or 30 minutes on low, until the sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve the chicken garnished with the additional fresh tarragon.

Serves 6


My notes: I used Baby Portobello mushrooms just because I think they have better flavor. I do have fresh tarragon growing in my garden and the fresh tarragon is a MUST for this dish. It just gives it a freshness at the end that I think is needed. Most grocery stores do carry fresh tarragon though. I used an Italian white wine and I would not use a chardonnay in this dish. I think it would be over powering. I also whisked the cream and constarch together before adding to the slow cooker.







This is a French Bistro type of dish and one that I think is an excellent family meal or could very easily be prepared for a casual dinner party. I served it over Wild Rice with a side fo sauted spinach. The cream gravy is excellent.



I hope you have enjoyed my recipe for Tarragon Chicken and do visit Designs by Gollum for some very interesting recipes.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a tarragon fan, but yum that slow cooker is gorgeous!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another non-tarragon person here but the chicken looks terrific. I'm wondering how rosemary would be in it's place? Thanks for sharing :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful recipe. I love tarragon and will make it a point to try this recipe. Have a great weekend and enjoy Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to look for this cookbook now. I am huge crockpot fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT!!! recipe using tarragon with chicken. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn -- this looks great -- I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wondering how rosemary would be in it's place? Thanks for sharing :)
    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tarragon and will make it a point to try this recipe. Have a great weekend
    grow taller 4 idiots

    ReplyDelete