Monday, October 12, 2009

Mosaic Monday

There is a small town just north of where I live that I dearly love to go to and most especially when I want to shop. For so many reasons but most of all it's a small town, they have maintained a wonderfully friendly atmosphere, and they have also preserved the beautiful architecture in their downtown area.

The town is Thomasville, GA and it has a lot of historical significance. So many years ago this was the last stop by train going south and many of the wealthy northerners bought up the plantations in the surrounding area. Many of which are still working plantations and these plantations have remained in the hands of several generations. They still come to the area when the weather turns so bitter cold during the winter months.

I took pictures of the downtown area of Thomasville to share with you in my mosaics.




They still have the tree lined brick streets and I love the fact that they have iron benches for those who get tired. The street lanterns are original but use to be gas and were made electric. The photo in the top right has a fabric store, a store for drapes and upholstry and one of my most favorite shops. The photo in the middle is a shop owned by two men whom I adore and last year they gave me a lovely Christmas present of a photo album because they said I was one of their best customers. Each and every time I am in their shop we have nice long chats. Their shop is a gift shop, clothing, candles, Lampe Berge' etc... The shop below is called The Gift shop and they don't take any credit cards and if you have forgotten your check book they tell you, "Don't worry about that honey, we'll just bill it to you." Can you just imagine that? Well, that was the first time I ever walked into the shop. In this day and time that is amazing. I have since developed a wonderful friendship with them.



I just love all the architecture and the photo in the middle is a kitchen shop called Relish. Needless to say this is one of my most favorite shops and I could spend hours there. It is so very different from any other kitchen shop I have ever been in. They also sell hard to find wines and serve lunch in the back of the shop. The shop owners sit and share their day with you. The last photo on the bottom left is of the old train station. The trains don't stop there anymore so it is now a fabulous Italian restaurant which so much history and ambiance. Thomasville, GA is a great place to visit and one I visit often. I hope you have enjoyed my little bit of nostalgia that I can still enjoy today.

I am joining Mary at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday. To see other interesting participants please click here. You can also enlarge my mosaics by clicking on to them.

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the tour of Thomasville....nice mosaics.
    I too find old historical town very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn -- enjoyed the tour of Thomasville -- wish I could see it in person! Your description made it come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your mosaic - I have old family friends (two little old sisters in their 80's) in Thomasville and visited them there in 2007. My father was from a small FL town just south of there. Very cute place.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a perfect little town with lots of character and friendliness "where everyone knows your name". How fun to visit. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete