Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What's on Your Wall Wednesday


I am joining for the first time "Whats on Your Wall Wednesday" hosted by Barb at Grits and Glamour. Thank you Barb for hosting this party and you can view other posts for WOYWW at Grits and Glamour


Today I am sharing two of my very favorite pieces. Both of which were sent to me by a message board friend. We discovered about five years ago that we were kindred spirits and we have gotten to know each other via the internet. How strange is that but it is true. She is one of my favorite people whom I learn from each and every day. Sometimes we don't communicate everyday but we still stay in touch in various ways (message boards, blogs and sometimes emails) and she has become one of my dearest friends. I am hoping that one day we will meet.

We both are tea drinkers, we both love antiques, we both are collectors and it sounds as if I have described just about everyone who visit each others blog but this connection was different. She told me once about a tea poster that she has and I think I may have told her that I would love to see it. The next thing I knew I had a package in the mail.



I unrolled it and found this gorgeous French Tea poster. I fell in love with it and knew that it needed a special place in my kitchen.



I first had to find the perfect frame. So I headed straight to my favorite frame shop where I found this bamboo looking black frame with a little red added to it. It picked up on the braid in her hair and also since I use a lot of black and red in my house, I knew it would be perfect.


I smile and think of my friend everytime I look at it which is always several times a day.

Not long ago I did a complete kitchen remodel. We tore down walls, ceilings and everything. Also reconfigured the entire kitchen with new cabinets and appliances. I love my new kitchen but it was quite an ordeal. When we completed the kitchen I received another package in the mail and this time it was these three painted heads of roosters. You see, my friend knows that I have this "thing" for roosters and she sent them to me as a "Kitchen Remodel gift".



Again, I knew I had to find that perfect spot and I did. This time above my cooktop. I had put a very small shelf there and there wasn't going to be too much that would fit on it since it was very narrow. However, these three little oil paintings were perfect. And again, each and everytime I look at them it is a reminder of that wonderful, caring and thoughtful friend.






They were the perfect thing to compliment my mural above the cooktop.


When I step back and take a look I sometimes feel that my friend had a hand in some of the decisions I made when designing my new kitchen.

I don't often share my feelings or thoughts but today this is a tribute to my dear friend whom I have never met but she is one of the dearest ladies I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know. You are my friend, Martha. I couldn't think of a better way to say it but on WOYWW. Thank you for being my friend.










12 comments:

  1. I love that poster, and those small roosters are gorgeous. They are perfect in your kitchen! How special to have a daily reminder of your friend. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You art work and your kitchen are beautiful! The roosters are perfect in that little spot. You found the best possible frame for your poster too. Thanks for sharing this today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to your friend...and your kitchen re-do is beautiful! Your friend provided you with special touches that work perfectly!
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posters are lovely...What's on my walls? all that know me are surprised. I'm working on a post of my walls...maybe tomorrow. :) KIM

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poster you received from your friend is so unique, and it is indeed a good reminder of your friendship. Your kitchen remodel came out fantastic, from what I see of your backsplash mural behind the cooktop. Oh to have a pot filler... The white tile is clean and fresh looking with that green accent border. Love the mural, too! :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am all about the roosters. Your picture is special too.
    I chatted online with a fellow tole painter for many, many years, her in Manitoba and me in British Columbia. Well last year they were coming our way for a wedding and we had the nicest dinner with her and her husband. It was a short visit but it was comfortable because we really did seem to know each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool place to cook! Hot and cold - super beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a lot of bloggers have a thing for roosters. I'd love to see more of your kitchen re-do. I love the subway tile and the rooster mural over the cooktop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for coming over. Just so you know the I lined the planter with a big dark green garbage bag years ago. Then I too moss which grows in my grass more than the grass grows and tucked it in all around the sides. The planter is under shelter all year so I have to make sure I water the moss a little bit too in the summer. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet compliment to your friend...I love the kitchen redo. Could it be because Roosters are my favorite things to decorate with.
    I hope you get to met your friend in person one day. I too have a friend I met on line and we connected instantly. She is quite the artist and I have several items she has painted and some pencil sketches. I got to met her 2 yrs ago when she came through MS from MO. she stayed with us for 3 days and it was like I'd found a long lost sister. DH and I have even been to her house a couple of times when we went to MO on vacation. I total understand the instant connection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are lucky to have such thoughtful friends.

    ReplyDelete