Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Visit to Our Farm

I am joining you today to participate in Outdoor Wednesday hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer.




Today I will take you to our farm for a brief visit. Our farm is about 45 minutes north of where we live, we have a small house on it but it is perfect for a weekend getaway. There are not even any phones there and we can turn off our cell phones because we are so far back in the woods that we don't get good reception anyway. The perfect place to relax and enjoy nature.

We ride down a couple of miles of dirt roads to get to our property and we like it that way. We have recently put up a gate and this is our entrance. This is an older picture and I have since done a little landscaping around it. I don't do a lot of landscaping here because I am only here on weekends and not every weekend at that. With our hot summers I think most everything would die.




We looked for about a year for some iron pieces to go atop of our brick pilars. Each time I went on a trip I would be on the look out and then one day in my favorite nursery here at home that is only about two blocks from my house I found these iron pine cones.





This is our small little farmhouse with only two bedrooms and one bath but it is perfect for our weekend getaway.



As I mentioned I don't do a lot of landscaping because I am not up there often enough to take care of it but I have done a little. I plan to do more in the Fall.






While at the farm we enjoy a multitude of outdoor activities but our favorite thing to do is watch the bluebirds. They are such a beautiful bird and they will allow you to view their nest with the eggs in them. With one exception, about a week before the babies fly out of the nest and then mama and daddy will not let you near the bird box. We have several on our property but this one is directly behind the house and I can sit on the back deck and watch with my binoculors. If you click on to the pic to enlarge you can better see the daddy bluebird standing guard his little family. Another interesting fact, they mate for life and come back to the same box year after year to have three hatches in a season.




Have you ever seen such a beautiful color of eggs?







I hope you have enjoyed visiting me at our farm and to see other posts for Outdoor Wednesday please visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer.

Have a Joyful Wednesday.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've found a paradise away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. We used to own a farm and had many Bluebird houses. This is our first Spring here in this house. Last September when we moved in we discovered that Bluebirds were in the area so we had a nesting box this Spring. So far, they have nested two times.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn -- what a perfect peaceful place. Love the iron pinecones. And how I wish we could have bluebirds -- but alas, in a city garden . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gate looks wonderful and I'm like you, I would really enjoy watching those bluebirds!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty property - thanks for sharing.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a serene property. I imagine it's a great place to decompress on weekends. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a truly wonderful place. The bluebird eggs are gorgeous. Glad you have a wonderful place to escape to.

    Christi @ A Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely setting! I live in the Tampa Bay area and our landscapes are much different than yours. My family's farm is in South Georgia and this reminds more of that area.

    We have Blue Jays and Cardinals that visit our feeders, but they have to compete with the wild parrots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a right fancy gate you have there!
    The eggs are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn, what a beautiful get away you have. I just love those iron gates. We have a pair of bluebirds and we love to watch them too. My daughter is going to make me a bluebird box.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful photos, happy outdoor wednsday

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful place you have. I love the iron pine cones!

    Enjoyed visiting,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great getaway! When should I arrive? haha.

    I really like the pinecones on the gate...they look great. Isn't it funny when we search and search and search and it is right under our noses? That seems to be the case so many times. Actually now that I think about it...it is a good life lesson!

    I hope you have had a wonderful day!

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great get away!! Im officially jealous!

    The eggs are so precious.

    thanks for sharing.

    TTFN~~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Belated Outdoor Wednesday, Carolyn
    I love the pinecone gate that protects the entrance to your beautiful farm. what a special place....I would be there every week-end also.
    I have wanted to see a bluebird in person all my life but it has not happened yet. Those eggs are so very beautiful...my dh and me, my sister and bil, my parents...we are all big bird lovers. I didn't know they mated for life...very romantic
    thank you so much for sharing your special place
    hugs
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is that your farm? So beautiful and it's a fantastic place to get some good rest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never think of Florida people having a vacation home! So many go to FL for vacation..
    Your farm sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete