Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My new fascination with Blue and White

In a recent post I shared that I have never been one to use a lot of blue and white in my home. After making that statement I realized how very wrong I was and discovered that I do indeed have touches of blue and white in several areas of my home. Who knew????

I admit to being influenced by a very dear friend who has a true love for blue and white. I have made a concentrated effort to add more blue and white to the Morning Room. It is called this because we most often use this room just off of our kitchen while reading and enjoying our coffee early in the morning, however, we do use it also when we have dinner just the two of us of for smaller informal dinner parties. It is a suken room and just off of my kitchen. We have shared many family gatherings in this room and this is where I chose to add more blue and white. After all, the rug on the tiles has lots and lots of blue.

I began by finessing my mantle which is an ever changing thing. Most often seasonal changes.
The pheasant is a Vietri piece that I have had for many years and part of a collection of birds. I love birds and collect them in all sizes and shapes. The two French candle holders on either side of the mantle came from Nell Hills, Mary Carol Garrity's shop in Atchison Kansas. The smaller candle holders were a recent find that I have had on my breakfast room table until recently but I love the way it looks on the mantle especially with the burlap finnessed in and out of each piece.


The jar sitting on the hearth was an attic find. Sometimes it pays to rummage through your attic. You'll never know what one might find that you forgot was there. I think I bought them, there are two, to do some flower arrangements for a function but what a surprise when I found them.
When I realized that I wanted to add more blue and white to this room I came upon this Spode Italian tray and bowl on sale and thought it would make for a beaituful centerpiece especially with fresh lemons in it. The placemats are a new purchase from William Sonoma, one of my favorite places to shop however, we don't have one in our area so I am relegated to online shopping. It works too. The name of the placemat pattern is Marisol and has a French feel.
I also found this sweet little candle stick which is made by Mottahedeh and was another sale "find".


Sitting next to it are some very old pictures. One of myself as a very young child just learning to walk  with my beloved grandmother and two other photos of my great grandmother as a young woman with her family in front of their old home place in Alabama.
This is a cherished photo that also has all of my great great aunts and uncles and my great great grandparents but also a great great great anut. My sweet little candlestick "find" has a special place sitting on this table and by the way, the crocheted piece was one I crocheted myself at least thirty years ago.

I am now asking myself, whats next???? Another set of china.

I am somewhat late to Marty's Table Top Tuesday party at A Stroll Through Life but I am sharing my tabletops at this party and my newly found love of Blue and White. I think it adds a cheerfulness to this room.


I hope you all have a lovely day.

4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful home. I love all of the accessories and everything looks so inviting. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,

    Your blue and white additions look lovely.

    Thanks for your "help" with posting.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a slippery slope, that love of blue and white - first the placemats, then the odd piece of china and next.....?....yes, a set of dishes would be perfect!
    Enjoying your discovery of my favorite combination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful home you have! Your mantel looks beautiful. I love everything Mary Carol Garrity sells, I'd love to visit her store! Best of luck finding the perfect set of china!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete