Sunday, September 27, 2020

Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese

 Pimento Cheese is a Southern staple in my opinion and I happened to come across a new version which I tried and thought it to be excellent. This is a recipe adapted from Food Network and it will definitely remain in my recipe repertoire. I think you may like it as well.



Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese

1 cup mayonnaise

1 7-ounce jar diced pimiento, drained and rinsed

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

½ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, according to preference

1 8-ounce extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

1 8-ounce smoked Gouda cheese, shredded

 

In a large bowl mix together the two grated cheeses. Mix together in a separate bowl the mayonnaise, pimientos, Worcestershire, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Add to the cheese mixture and thoroughly mix them together.

This will make 4 cups and will keep up to a week in the refrigerator.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I learned something very important as I was preparing this recipe, always drain and rinse the pimentos. I had always added it in with never rinsing or draining and also had no idea how salty they are. I would always add salt into the mix and never thought I added too much but it was the pimentos. Just goes to show, you are never too old to learn.
Sitting in the refrigerator overnight all the ingredients melded together and it does have a little kick to it.

It makes an excellent appetizer, I think it would be great as a grilled cheese sandwich or just a regular sandwich on lightly toasted bread which I had today. The Gouda cheese is a great change to how I normally make my pimento cheese. I used Cracker Barrel extra sharp Cheddar cheese and Boars Head Smoked Gouda and shredded both on a box grater. I think that is most important, none of that pre-shredded stuff.

I hope you will try this recipe and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I hope you'll let me know if you give this a try. Enjoy your evening.

Carolyn


 


1 comment:

  1. Carolyn, we love smoked Gouda. I have never thought of using it for pimiento cheese. Thanks so much for the recipe. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete