Monday, August 21, 2017

Blueberry Buttermilk Pie

I always look forward to the time when blueberries at our farm in South Georgia are ripe and ready for picking. We picked our last few at the end of June. We had a modest amount of berries this year but we have found that every other year are bumper crops. This year was not a bumper crop but did get enough for the freezer to use when I want them. Here's just a few of our blueberry bushes at our farm in S GA.
Now I love a good buttermilk pie, not too sweet but just sweet enough to fulfill that sweet tooth craving. Imagine if you would a buttermilk pie with blueberries, YUM. After going through my saved recipes specifically for blueberries I found this recipe. Cut out of a magazine long ago but had never tried the recipe. What was I thinking?
This was delicious and blueberries are an excellent addition to a Buttermilk Pie.
 
Blueberry Buttermilk Pie
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
1 (9-inch) frozen deep-dish piecrust, thawed or your own pie crust
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup whole buttermilk
3 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
Sweetened whipped cream, to serve

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place blueberries in piecrust. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, beat butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla at medium-low speed with an electric mixer until butter is in nickel-sized pieces, approximately 1 minute.

In a small bowl, stir together sugar, flour, and salt; stir into egg mixture. Pour into piecrust.

Bake until set, 60 to 65 minutes. (Cover with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary.) Let cool before serving. Top slices with whipped cream, if desired.

Note: The blueberries rise to the top as a pecan pie would.
An excellent dessert and of course, Mr. Picky Eater who definitely has a sweet tooth loved this pie. A quick and easy dessert, assembly takes no time. I hope you will try this recipe, you won't be disappointed. I found that the pie itself has a creamier texture than most Buttermilk Pies which was wonderful.
 Enjoy your day and I hope each of you have plans to take in the solar eclipse today. Such a rare occurrence, I can't wait.

I will be sharing this post at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Rattlebridge Farm.

3 comments:

  1. This is on my "To Make" list Carolyn, it looks delicious--what a unique twist on Buttermilk Pie! Thank you for sharing it. I want to let you know I made the Greek Tortellini Salad recipe you had posted just previously, my family loved it--what a hit! It's a keeper, thank you for that gem, too! -m.
    P.S. The eclipse was awesome here in Oregon (although not 100% visible from my house) because of the smoke from so many of the forest fires here in the west. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds YUMMY! I've pinned.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love buttermilk pie and with fresh summer blueberries its no doubt to die for- Will be making this recipe.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete