Thursday, July 20, 2017

Greek Tortellini Salad

I am always looking to expand my recipe collection and always trying new and different things. I can't even remember where I first saw this recipe whether it was online, in a magazine or from my stacks and stacks of saved folders but this was delightful. A quick and easy recipe, a good summery dish where you don't have to heat up your oven and what's not to like about a pasta salad?
Make it in a large bowl since there is so much mixing and transfer it to a serving bowl. 
I thought this to be a delicious salad packed with fresh ingredients and the vinaigrette is excellent, not too tart but with a definite Greek taste.

Greek Tortellini Salad

1 pound three cheese tortellini pasta, cooked al dente
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small shallot, diced
1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup jarred artichoke hearts
1/2 cup Kalamata olives
1/3 cup chiffonade of fresh basil
1/2 cup feta, crumbled

In a large bowl combine cooled tortellini, tomatoes, shallot cucumber, artichoke hearts and olives. Mix well and pour dressing (recipe below) over salad. Add in crumbled feta, gently mix again, pour into a serving bowl and sprinkle basil on top.

 Greek Dressing

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Mix vinegar, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, sugar, mustard, lemon juice, and salt and pepper together. Slowly whisk in the olive oil so it will emulsify and Pour over the salad.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Notes: I think some would be inclined to use fresh oregano but as an herb grower I would not do that. Oregano is such a strong herb but also the dried does mix better with this dressing. Thyme is not as strong of an herb but I would still use the dried in this instance. Also, I don't normally peel my cucumber when using an English cucumber but next time I will. Not peeling it gave the salad an ever so slight bitter after taste. My husband didn't even notice it but I have a keen sense of taste, that would be my only change. I also use marinated artichokes which only added to the overall Greek "thing". One other thing, I always, always buy feta in a block and crumble it myself. I find it to have a better taste and I can always tell the difference, it's just much more flavorful crumbling it yourself.
 
A great summery salad that made a meal for just myself and Mr. Picky Eater. And just so you know, he LOVED this salad. YAH!!!!! That is a big deal to me since I am always trying to cook things that both of us enjoy and it can sometimes be a challenge, hence, why I often call him Mr. Picky Eater.
Pared with a good white wine it made for a perfect summery dinner. I definitely like to eat lighter in the summer but at the same time it was filling.
I hope you will try this salad, it is excellent. I would really like to know if you make this salad and if you enjoyed it as much as I did. This will be made at my house many times for the remainder of the summer. I will be sharing this post for Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Rattlebridge Farm. To see other shared recipes click HERE.
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Definitely one of my favorite salads. Makes for a great potluck or weeknight meal.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete