Sunday, August 28, 2016

Nashville Farmer's Market Succotash

This past week my cookbook group had their gathering for August. Our hostess chose a book by Matt Moore, "A Southern Gentleman's Kitchen". Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the gathering but had bought the book. I was unfamiliar with the book or the author but it's a book filled with many delicious recipes and I have seen the book in several specialty shops since. I have been told that our group luncheon had another fun filled luncheon and ate some scrumptious food, good ole Southern style cooking.
I had intended to take this recipe, Nashville Farmer's Market Succotash. The author is a resident of Nashville, thus the name of this dish. I had stopped at our own farmer's market to get all of the ingredients, all so very fresh and more importantly local.

It took far longer getting everything prepped than it did to prepare this dish. This particular recipe had a couple of slightly different twists and it was delicious.

"Nashville Farmer's Market Succotash" serves 6

4 ears fresh corn, husks removed
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 Vidalia or sweet onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups fresh lima beans*
3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 lb. fresh okra, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup dry white wine**

*Frozen lima beans, thawed, may be substituted
**Reduced-sodium chicken broth may be substituted

Hold each cob upright on a cutting board, and carefully cut downward, cutting corn kernels from cobs into a large bowl to equal 2 1/4 cups. Discard cobs.

Place a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat 1 minute or until hot; melt butter with olive oil in hot skillet. Add onion and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 8 minutes or until onion is tender and translucent. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute or until fragrant.

Stir in corn kernels, lima beans, and next 2 ingredients. Add wine, and cook, stirring to loosen any browned bits from bottom of skillet, 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until lima beans and okra are tender. Serve immediately.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sautéing the first few veggies made the house so fragrant. I love the smell of Vidalia onions and red bell peppers together. Then when you add in the garlic, well my goodness, it doesn't get any better for flavor.
This dish went together so easily and was an outstanding side dish. Can you just imagine all the fresh veggie, nutritious goodness. And I was able to get fresh lima beans.
The wine made the difference in this dish, a definite flavor boost. If you should try this recipe you won't be disappointed. I will definitely prepare this again as long as I can get all the ingredients fresh, it's a keeper but it also serves more than just six servings. It would make a great side dish for a dinner party.

Thank you for stopping by and I love to see your comments.

Carolyn

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn, this looks amazing and so healthy! I hope to try it this week! Thanks so much!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, this looks amazing and so healthy! I hope to try it this week! Thanks so much!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carolyn, it has been only recently that I have a new respect for succotash. Not sure I ever really understood it but, I evolved and it is one of my favorite vegetable blends. This one looks amazing.

    Hope all is well.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete