Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Refreshing Sangria

Not too long ago I took a cooking class at a local kitchen shop. The guest instructor is a blogging friend who lives in my area and I have taken several of her classes which I have enjoyed tremendously. Not only is she so very witty and shares some great recipes but the conversations that come up in her classes I have learned so many things as well. She always serves us some kind of fabulous liquid refreshment and I wanted to share one here that I have enjoyed over and over again.

This Sangria is so light, refreshing and with a lighter wine the fruit comes through more clearly. I have been making this ever since this recipe was shared. I find it absolutely delicious.

I used a sauvignon blanc as was suggested and found this to be perfect. If you steep it in the refrigerator for several hours you really do taste the fruit so much more than with a heavier wine.

You ask yourself, "What makes this Sangria so different?" Good question and the answer..............an orange infused simple syrup.

The recipe is not really a recipe but I used a 1.5 L of sauvignon blanc, orange infused simple syrup to taste (1/2 C water to 1/2 C sugar and the rind of one navel orange) simmered just until the sugar melts, and fruit (sliced lemon, sliced strawberries, and sliced orange). You could add any other fruit you happen to have on hand but this is what I used. You taste the sweetness of the strawberries and orange and the lemon gives it a needed crispness. Mix all the ingredients together in a large pitcher and chill before serving. This will keep in the refrigerator for several days with the fruit infusing even more.

As you add the ingredients of the Sangria together taste it because some may want more sweetness than others. I happened to add in the whole amount of simple syrup that I made and found it to be perfect for my tastes.

 
I think it's important also to the taste to place it in an elegant glass, yes you did read that right. I served mine in a Waterford wine glass, made it even more delicious with a touch of elegance. Don't forget that orange infused simple syrup, it makes all the difference in the world. Opened me up to a new way of making Sangria and BTW, just to kick it up a notch I added a splash or two or three of Grand Marnier to the pitcher. Everything tastes better with Grand Marnier IMO.
 
The simple syrup will keep for several days in the refrigerator as well if you decide not to use all of it. Just place it in a jar with a tight fitting lid. This syrup tastes super in iced tea too with a slice of orange.
 
Give this a try for a refreshing summer cocktail. You won't be disappointed.


Have a good evening, Carolyn

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour,

    Cette sangria me semble délicieuse. Merci de partager avec nous votre recette. Les photos qui l'accompagnent sont très belles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the clarity of your sangria. I used red wine in my latest batch, and it was way too buttery for the fruit. What a great idea to use sauvignon blanc! Happy to see you at FFriday!

    ReplyDelete