Thursday, July 18, 2013

COWGIRL QUICHE

Yesterday I made a new quiche recipe that was absolutely amazing . Probably not on anyone's diet list but this recipe was worth going off a diet even for one piece . I think this recipe is the absolute BEST quiche recipe I have ever eaten and I have eaten in a lot of French restaurants .

Believe it or not it came from the Pioneer Woman's , Ree Drummond's cookbook . I say it like that because although I have both of her cookbooks I rarely cook from them . I happen to see her prepare this on one of her programs and it sounded delicious so I decided to try it myself . For the crust I used Ina Garten's Perfect Pie Crust recipe that was printed in her Family Style cookbook . It's my favorite so I didn't want to change but it is very similar to the recipe that Ree recommends .

Ina's Perfect Pie Crust

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening
6 to 8 tablespoons (about 1/2 cup) ice water

Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator while you prepare the flour mixture . Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix . Add the butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of peas . With the machine running, pour the ice water down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball . Dump out on a floured board and roll into a ball . Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes .

Cut the dough in half . Roll each piece on a well-floured board into a circle, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough to make sure it doesn't stick to the board . Fold the dough in half, place in a pie pan, and unfold to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust .

Note: I only used half of this dough recipe but the other half freezes well. It will freeze for up to six months . I also have a very large marble slab for rolling out pastry dough . It's heavy but very useful when rolling out dough because it is a natural surface and stays very cold which is important .



This recipe comes from Ree Drummond's first cookbook, Pioneer Woman Cooks , Food From My Frontier .

Cowgirl Quiche

16 ounces white mushrooms , washed and sliced
2 leeks
2 tablespoons butter
8 eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 cups grated Swiss cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
 8 thin slices prosciutto (or any good ham)
1 recipe Pam's Pie crust, enough for a deep pie dish or tart pan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F .

Place the mushrooms on a large baking sheet . Roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes , or until golden brown . Remove from the oven and set aside .

Meanwhile , slice off the tops and bottoms of the leeks and cut them in half lengthwise . Slice each in half thinly .Soak the leeks in cold water for about 10 minutes to remove any grit or dirt .

In a large skillet over medium heat , sauté the leeks in the butter until golden brown and beginning to caramelize , 8 to 10 minutes . Set aside .

For the quiche base , add the eggs and cream to a medium bowl . Whisk them to combine . Stir in the leeks , mushrooms , grated cheese , salt and pepper . Add the prosciutto .The mixture should be very thick ! Pour it into the pie shell , then cover it loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil to prevent it from getting too brown on top . Bake for 45 minutes , then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes . Remove it from the oven and allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving .

My Notes: This recipe really needs a 10-inch deep dish fluted pan with a removable bottom. I did not have one but instead used my fluted pie plate, it was not deep enough to hold all of the filling . I also used cremini mushrooms since I think they have so much more flavor and used an imported gruyere cheese instead of Swiss for the same reason and I prefer gruyere . You also have to be careful about how much salt you add since the prosciutto is very salty but yet sooooooooo delicious .

 
I always love using leeks in any recipe . They are much milder than onions but yet so flavorful .
 
 
Baby Portobello's or Cremeni mushrooms, they have so much more flavor than white button mushrooms . Having roasted them brings out even more flavor .
 
 
This was a little labor intensive but well worth it. It was absolutely delicious.
 
 
I loved the use of the prosciutto but it is very salty so you must be careful when adding salt . I don't like anything overly salted .
 
 
I did not get a photo of this wonderful quiche after it came out of the oven but it does brown nicely. My daughter arrived just after I brought it out of the oven with my grand daughter and they both stayed for dinner and were anxious to try it since it smelled heavenly while cooking . My two year old grand daughter LOVED it and I served her some blueberries with it fresh from our farm . She was a happy girl . What remained after my husband , my daughter , and myself had some served with a simple side salad , the rest went home with my daughter for her husband's dinner . I was told today that he too absolutely LOVED it .
 
I also set it on a sheet pan in case it spilled over while cooking . This was a huge hit with my family and I will prepare this recipe over and over again . I highly recommend it !!!!!

I am sharing this post at Rattlebridge Farm for Foodie Friday . There are always excellent recipes shared on this blog and you can click HERE to see them .






5 comments:

  1. Sounds divine, I am a big fan of Ree Drummond's recipes, always so good and down to earth real food!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sounds so delish! I do have a deep quiche pan with a removable bottom and I'd love to try this recipe in it. Thank for sharing! I love Ina's recipes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious Carolyn! I would love a slice of this for supper tonight. This is on my 'to make' list, thank you for sharing it! ~m.

    PS. I hope you'll come see what the Novel Bakers have in store for us next week ~ it's all about Lavender. An entire week of lavender! The links will be up on my blog on Monday (the 22nd). Hope to see you then. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound delicious! In love quiche and frittatas.

    ReplyDelete