Sunday, June 23, 2013

Tomato Basil Pie



When the intense heat of our summer rolls around it is also a time for really good local tomatoes . My mind immediately begins to crave a good Tomato Basil Pie . I know I have posted this recipe before but it bears repeating because it is my favorite . Not exactly low-cal but it is oh so very good and a slice or two doesn't totally break with the diet . 
 

This is a recipe from one of Paula Deen's cookbooks . I am not a big fan of Paula's and almost never cook from her books but do have all of them . This just happens to be my favorite recipe for Tomato Basil Pie and I have tried many recipes .

 It's one of those quick and easy recipe's to prepare and oh sooooooo good .
 
 TOMATO BASIL PIE
 
4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/3 cup chopped green onion
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups grated mozzarella and Cheddar cheese, combined
1 cup mayonnaise
One 9-inch prebaked deep-dish pie shell
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer tomato slices, basil, and onion in the pie shell . Add salt and pepper to taste . Mix together grated cheese and mayonnaise . Spread on top of tomatoes. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned .
 
My Notes: A store bought crust is fine for this recipe and I blind bake the crust with a round of parchment in the bottom and pie stones . I also add more basil and green onions called for in the recipe . I never peel the tomatoes either . And I always use freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt, it makes such a difference to the taste .
 
It looks so pretty even before adding the topping with the combination of the colors .
 
 I am fortunate enough that I always have fresh basil in my herb garden . I often have stems of basil sitting on my countertop to use whenever I need it . Since I dearly love fresh basil I use it a lot .
 
 
 There is ONLY one mayonnaise that I ever use .  Here in the South there are only two kinds used, Hellman's or Duke's and I prefer Hellman's .
 
 
 


 Just before popping it into the oven .
 
The combination of the cheddar and mozzarella is amazing . I always use a very good cheddar , in this case it was one from Beecher's which is an excellent cheese company in Seattle . They have since opened a shop in New York , I often order from them online. The mozzarella is not slices but in a block so it can be grated and the one I used was imported from Italy. Using the best ingredients you can makes such a difference when cooking IMO .
 
It browns up beautifully and I could not wait to have that first yummy bite .

It pares beautifully with a simple mixed green salad to round out the dinner. A light dinner and both myself and my husband don't like too heavy of a dinner during the heat of this time of year .

 
I am sharing this post at Stonegable for what's On the Menu Monday .

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy -- will have to have this this next time the Lunch Bunch comes to lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning to you, This is a dish which will feature on my menu this summer as it includes everything we enjoy eating and I grow basil and love eating it as well.
    I have a Paula Deen Cookery Book... Savannah Country Cookbook. I bought it when I visited Savannah a couple of years ago when we visited Paula's restaurant.
    Huey and Miss Scarlet are adorable.... is Miss Scarlet your gorgeous King Charles Spaniel?
    I am sorry, I could not find your name, but I wanted to say I found you at Yvonne at Stonegable. I have really enjoyed my visit and I have become a new follower.
    I would like to invite you to visit me at Ivy, Phyllis and Me! when you have a moment.
    Best Wishes to you,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for my tomatoes to start producing! It's always a treat to pick your own tomatoes and fresh basil is always in my herb garden too. I'd love to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a different recipe. Almost like a margarita pizza but with a little extra naughty, Hellmans mayo, great recipe, I will be trying this with my basil.
    Oh, and I too live in Florida, love it here and wouldn't trade it, except maybe the mountains during August and September when our humidity is 200% and a 95 degrees. But that's my South Florida.

    ReplyDelete