Thursday, June 27, 2013

Shrimp and Pasta Salad

This was a new recipe that I have tried recently. Actually, I most often love any kind of pasta salad but this was amazing. Loved, loved, loved it. The best thing about it was that Mr. Picky Eater liked it too.

The recipe comes from a cookbook by Johnnie Gabriel, Cooking in The South. She owns a deli and restaurant in the Atlanta area and I have found it to be an excellent book. I have enjoyed cooking from this book especially this recipe. It is a keeper!!!!



Shrimp Pasta Salad

1 (1-pound) box macaroni shells
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Spanish olive oil
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
3 to 5 pounds medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
1 (6-ounce) jar pimentos, drained
2 medium Kosher dill pickles, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped black olives
Garlic salt, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Cook the pasta until tender according to the package directions. Drain and cool. In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, mayonnaise, and olive oil. In a large bowl combine the chopped eggs, pasta, shrimp, pimentos, pickles, and onion. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the macaroni mixture and toss well. Season with garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The boiled chopped eggs make this dish.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

* If you use shrimp larger than medium, chop the shrimp into bite-size pieces.

My Notes: I used dill relish instead of cutting up dill pickles, about 2 tablespoons. The shrimp I sautéed in a tablespoon of butter, they were peeled, deveined with tales removed and I used medium shrimp and only about 2 pounds. After sautéing them in butter I cut them into bite sized pieces. I also added 4 stalks of heart of celery finely chopped. I can't eat a shrimp salad without celery in it.?????

 
This was the most amazing pasta salad I have ever made and I do LOVE a great pasta salad.
 

Served on a bed of fresh baby greens with a side salad of Heirloom Baby Tomatoes with a drizzle of Basil infused Olive Oil with a splash of French Sea Salt, Wellllllllllllll, it doesn't get any better than that.

This is a light Summer dinner but oh so very good.
 
 
Try this, you will not be disappointed. I know I am so fortunate to have fresh shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico year round but even frozen shrimp from the grocery would be great in this recipe.
 
 
I am sharing this post at Foodie Friday. To see other amazing recipes click on to Foodie Friday.

 

6 comments:

  1. I really like this recipe. I never use dill pickles in my shrimp salad, I will give them a try. You have a beautiful blog and enjoyed going through it. I would love it if you joined our BBQ Block Party.
    http://easylifemealandpartyplanning.blogspot.com/

    Hope to see you there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, it's been a while since I stopped by . . . and I don't know why!!! Anyway, this pasta salad looks amazing! I can't wait to try it. Sounds like it would be a huge hit on the 4th of July!

    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've saved this one - it just sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use shrimp in salads often enough. This sounds wonderful and perfect fire summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful! Thanks for sharing it.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful dish to have on a hot summer evening.

    ReplyDelete