Saturday, April 13, 2013

Penne with Braised Short Ribs

This recipe is one that I had watched Giada prepare on a repeat program of hers. I had never seen this particular program but as she prepared it I thought it sounded amazing. I'm not sure if it appears in any of her books but it may. I made my copy from my computer.


Penne with Braised Short Ribs
serves 4 to 6

4 pounds beef short ribs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
5 Roma tomatoes, cut into eighths
1 cup red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Place an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Season the ribs with salt and pepper. In a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or ovenproof stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. In batches, add the ribs and brown on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the ribs and set aside. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine and mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Return the ribs to the pan. Add the beef broth, cover the pan and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours until the meat is fork-tender and falls easily from the bone

Remove the ribs from the cooking liquid. Using a large spoon, remove any excess fat from the surface of the cooking liquid. Using a ladle, transfer the cooking liquid in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and keep warm over low heat. Remove the meat from the bones. Discard the bones. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into small pieces. Stir the shredded meat into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the sauce and add to the pasta. Pour 1 cup of the sauce over the pasta. Toss well and thin out the pasta with more sauce, if needed. Sprinkle the pasta with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley before serving.


I chose to use a French Pinot Noir in this dish, something I would drink with the dish.

 
 
My husband is a very picky eater but he raved over this and it is such an economical dinner as well.
 
 
 
Pared with a simple salad it was quite simply, an excellent dinner.
 
 
 
 
Whenever I find a recipe that pleases my husband and he raves about it, I will definitely be preparing this again and again.
 
 
I hope you are enjoying your weekend.



6 comments:

  1. this looks really good. I'll have to put this on my "must try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,

    I have never cooked short ribs, but this dish looks delicious. I love Giada's recipes, so easy and tasty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, Carolyn ~ GMTA, Braised short ribs are a favorite here and this version looks fabulous.
    I just recently prepared some in the pressure cooker (my new favorite method.) It was a toss up of what starch to serve them with ~ this time creamy polenta won out, but I would have been so pleased to have your plate of goodness placed before me! xo~m.

    P.S. Your kitchen looks so cozy and inviting ~ and nice food photos, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious, Carolyn. I'm a big fan of Giada's no fuss dishes. I will definitely try this.

    Love seeing pictures of your beautiful kitchen!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound delicious! I love braised short ribs and can imagine how good they would be with pasta. Thanks do much for writing the recipe down and sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! I can almost smell them! Giada always comes through on tastey dishes!

    ReplyDelete