Friday, October 26, 2012

New York Style Cheesecake

Several weeks ago I was cruising a few of my favorite blogs and found this recipe for New York Style Cheesecake. Unfortunately I forgot where I found this and would really like to give credit where credit is due.

I have been making my own cheesecake for as long as I can remember and it is a crustless cheesecake but this one is absolutely amazing. I loved the addition of the orange zest, lemon zest and bourbon. This BTW put it over the top in my opinion.



New York Style Cheesecake

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, plus 1 1/2 cups
2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sour cream
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped from inside of pod and reserved
1 teaspoon bourbon or brandy
Strawberry sauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Butter the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan, In a mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and mix well. Press onto bottom of spring form pan and bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool. When completely cooled, butter the sides of the pan.

Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

In a larage mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups sugar, zests and vanilla and beat until light and creamy. Add the flour, then the eggs and yolks 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sour cream, vanilla bean seeds and bourbon or brandy and mix until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Wrap the pan in foil and place in a roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with enough hot water to come half way up the sides of the pan. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Transfer cake to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Refrigerate cake overnight before serving. Cut into wedges and top with strawberry sauce.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings

Strawberry Sauce

2 pints fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
Reserved vanilla bean
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons kirsch or brandy

Combine berries, sugar, water, reserved vanilla bean and zest and cook until berries are soft and the liquid is thick, about 10 minutes. Stir in the kirsch or brandy and cook for 1 minute.

Remove from the heat and let cool. Spoon on top of the cheesecake and serve.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
It sounds like a really boozy cheesecake but it really isn't. It is quite simpley DELICIOUS!!!! Often I serve cheesecake with Ina Garten's Raspberry Sauce which is also excellent. For the holidays I will definitely be making this cheesecake again with Ina's Raspberry Sauce.
 
 



It's Friday and I am shring my post on Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum.

Have a great weekend to all and with the holidays coming up WOW your guests with this delightful cheesecake.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today. For some reason, your posts are not showing up in my blog roll. I just checked to see if I was still on your "followers" list and I am. Don't know what the problem is. However, I'm glad I didn't miss this delicious recipe. I'm a big Ina fan but haven't done her cheesecake.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made cheesecake for a long time, but your post has whet my appetite for it again. This looks simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ce n'est pas le genre de gâteau que nous avons l'habitude de déguster en France, mais pour en avoir goûté à l'étranger je peux dire que j'adore ça !
    Votre recette me semble succulente et les photos parlent !
    Merci pour cette jolie publication gourmande.
    Gros bisous et bon weekend.

    ReplyDelete