Sunday, February 26, 2012

Rainy Day Sunday

Here in our area of N FL we have had very little winter. January and February are usually quite cold with temperatures dipping below freezing. We usually do warm up nicely during the day but this year as everywhere else in the country we have had unseasonably  warm temperatures. Today, however, we are having some rain, it is damp and very chilly, a perfect day for a fire in the fireplace to take the chill off the downstairs.


The family room mantle changes with the seasons, of course and right now I am enjoying my latest collection of blue and white pieces. A collection that was inspired by a dear friend, I have tried very hard  to NOT begin new collections but caved. I have recently been adding to this new collection of blue and white. I've had the center candle holders for some time and love them on the mantle but they looked a little lost so I added the jar to the left about a year ago and then the rest of the collection which I found at a sweet new little shop in our area called Sweet Patina. They seem to have a wealth of very old and charming blue and white porcelain pieces. I also found the little pot to hold my plant sitting on the tea table at the same shop and it is a perfect height and size.


The jar sitting on the hearth is one of several and I have used them many times with flower arrangements in them when having an outdoor garden party.

Even my furry friends, Miss Scarlet and Huey were enjoying the warmth of the fire on this cold dank day.

Huey especially enjoyed the warmth on his bottom.

A perfect day to peruse some cookbooks and prepare my grocery list for the week.

I am enjoying particularly P. Allen Smiths newest book which is a cookbook. Simple but seasonal recipes. Now this cornbread recipe looks delicious with added blue cheese, Yum. I will share the recipe later in the week.

I hope each of you are enjoying your Sunday afternoon. I'm heading back to leisurely enjoy my fire. It may very well be the last fire we have.

Linking to:
@
A Stroll Thru Life

8 comments:

  1. Oh what a warm and cozy looking spot to sit, relax and enjoy such a lovely room and fire. Perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room looks so cozy! I would love ot curl up there on a cold rainy day with a good book. Looks like the pups are enjoying it, too!

    Your collection of blue and white is so pretty! The mantel looks perfect for this time of year! Wonderful job!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your touches of blue and white -- they are such elegant pieces! And the dog -- they look so comfortable. Ollie is snoozing away too -- it was a hard day (helping me garden and a good walk this morning!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Sunday sounds like it was perfect. Lovely surroundings, a cosy fire and a good book to leaf through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our part of Northern Florida was rainy too. Still is today. Wish we had a fireplace here in Florida for days just like these. Love your blue and white collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Carolyn!! Your family room looks warm and cozy in these photos. I love your blue and white... there is just something about b/w that says "home" to me. I had put mine away for several years, and now can't get enough of it!!
    thinking of your today...
    your friend,
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a warm and welcoming room! I can't wait to see the corn bread recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So warm and inviting Carolyn.

    I love a fire on a rainy day too.

    Mare

    ReplyDelete