Friday, January 6, 2012

Pioneer Woman's Christmas Rum Cake

I think Ree Drummond prepared this cake on her Christmas Special (not quite sure thats where I saw it?). However, when I first saw this being made I thought it sounded like pure heaven. Now I do not often use bought cake mixes BUT with this recipe one should OR you could do your own yellow cake recipe. I don't think you would find any difference what so ever.

My daughter dropped by with the baby while it was in the oven and since I spent the whole time they were here playing with the baby I never got a photo with the whole cake. My daughter waited until it cooled completely and told me, "I HAVE to take some of that home." It was already fragrancing the whole house when she walked in the door.

I must say it is absolutely DIVINE!!!!! A boozy cake but OMG so delicious. It does not need the whipped cream, that is surely over kill but I placed it on the plate only for my photo.


It surely looks pretty sitting on my French Pastry Table but I feel quite certain that it won't last long.


"Mr. Picky Eater" (my husband) arrived shortly after our daughter left and had some after dinner. Said he LOOOOOOVED it. Yah, it was a hit in my house.

Pioneer Woman’s Rum Cake


1 box (about 18 oz.) Yellow Cake Mix

1 package (3.5 oz.) instant Vanilla Pudding Mix

4 eggs

½ cups cold water

½ cups canola oil

½ cups Rum (dark or light)

1 cup chopped pecans

Brown sugar (optional)


GLAZE

1-½ sticks butter

¼ cups water

1-½ cup sugar

¾ cups Rum

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Grease and flour a bundt cake pan. Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan. If desired, sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar over the nuts.

Mix all cake ingredients together. Pour batter into pan over nuts. Smooth the batter out until the top is even. Bake for 1 hour, or a little less if the pan is black. Do not over bake!

Glaze:

While cake has ten minutes left to bake, begin preparing the glaze.

Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn off the flame and pour in the rum. Stir to combine and reheat for 30 seconds.

Remove the cake from the oven. Immediately drizzle 1/3 of the glaze on the bottom (top) of the cake. Allow to sit for five minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate. Prick surface a hundred times with a fork very gently. Slowly drizzle the remaining rum glaze all over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Cool to room temperature before serving to ensure glaze has soaked in.

My Notes: I used a Duncan Hines Butter cake mix, did use light rum, also sprinkled the brown sugar over the nuts in the bottom of my bundt pan and used a cake tester to prick the holes. A fork seemed to crush the crust.

This is such a good cake, lots of calories of course, but for a special occasion it would definitely be a hit.



It's a moist cake and should keep for several days.

I am linking my post today to Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Designs by Gollum. Click here to see many wonderful recipes shared by other participants.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I used to make this cake years ago; haven't thought of it in ages! I love seeing it resurface, and I'm saving the recipe for NEXT holidays.

    And it does keep very well.
    Whipped cream may be gilding the lily, but it's OH so good!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn,

    The cake looks wonderful, even if we can see only half of it. ;) Your daughter is a smart gal taking some home with her....

    I bet your DH enjoyed it too.

    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I have to comment on your French pastry table in your kitchen - it is stunning! Where did you find it?

    The cake looks delicious, and I'd say that was a good sign when your daughter had to take some home, and your husband liked it too! Sounds like you hit it out of the ballpark with this recipe!

    Thank you for sharing! If you have time please "stop by" for "lunch" I've got Greek Mac & Cheese ready! I love company and new friends are always welcome!

    Happy New Year!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that does sound delicious and how pretty on your French pastry table!!! I'd love to try this when I have some people over to share it with :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound delicious and easy too!

    Thank you for your kind words and I hope you have a wonderful 2012!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rum cake has a moist and fine crumb...simply delish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have my original 1973 recipe, cut from an ad for Bacardi Rum. I've made this cake every year since then and it is a much-anticipated treat. I'm glad it's still popular!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a new follower, Carolyn, and so glad I found your blog.
    The rum cake sounds delicious. I'm going to try the recipe right away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made this cake in the past and it really is wonderful. It seems festive and just perfect for the holidays. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that 2012 brings only good things your way. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

    HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why this "boozy cake" was such a hit! It is made more special when the special people around you, enjoy it too.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete