Sunday, January 22, 2012

Reprise~Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce

Recently I was talking with a friend and we were talking about recipes using crab. Blue Crabs are so abundant in our area almost year round, we are so fortunate to be living near the Gulf of Mexico. I told her about the BEST crab cake recipe I have ever prepared.

Chari at Happy to Design has suspended her Sunday Favorites which is a repost of one of your favorite posts but I thought this should be reposted and hopefully soon Chari will be posting again and we can rejoin her blogging party. These crab cakes are excellent.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I am sharing a borrowed recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Savoring Time in the Kitchen. Susan is on a blogging break but she has been sharing some of the most wonderful recipes.
This past week I prepared her Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce and they are fabulous. Here in our area of North Florida we are able to enjoy Blue Crabs from the Gulf year round. I also want to mention that our area was thankfully not affected by the oil spill either.  If you are able to get some fresh crab these crab cakes will not disappoint.


Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce
Adapted from this recipe~from Savoring Time in the Kitchen

1 pound fresh crabmeat (I used crab claws)
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
2-3 cups fresh breadcrumbs from crustless French bread (I make my own in the food processor)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix the first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs and the egg, blending lightly. Shape crab mixture into 6-8 patties. Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Coat crab cakes lightly in breadcrumbs, one at a time, pressing crumbs onto the crab cakes. At this point, they can be covered and refrigerated until time to saute them, up to 6 hours ahead of time.

When ready for the final preparation, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add 3-4 crab cakes and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining butter, oil and crab cakes.

Serve with remoulade sauce (recipe follows).


Remoulade Sauce


1 Large Rib Celery, cut into pieces
2 Green Onions, cut into pieces
1 Garlic Clove, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon Italian Parsley, chopped
2 tablespoon stone-ground with horseradish
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 rounded teaspoon prepared Horseradish
1 tsp Tabasco
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 oz. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

Combine the first set of ingredients (excluding oils) in a food processor and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the oils. The sauce should be fairly thick. Adjust the seasonings, if necessary. This is best made a day ahead if time allows.


I served these simply with Cole slaw, Heirloom Tomatoes drizzled with Basil infused Olive Oil and sprinkled with an Herbed Sea Salt.

I used this Gardener Salt all the time. It comes from France, it does have dried herbs in it and I always use it in pasta water, vegetables, and sprinkled over sliced tomatoes. It is a "Good Thing".

These crab cakes were absolutely delicious, the ingredients did not over power the taste of the crab which is always a criteria for me. Thank you Susan for sharing this recipe, it truly is a keeper.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the 'heads up' :) My email is in my profile but I know it's easy to miss!

    I'm so glad you liked this recipe! I won't even try another crab cake recipe after using this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn -- I envy you your crab -- alas, most of the crab on the prairie is either "krab" or in cans!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore crab cakes. I'm bookmarking this recipe because it sounds Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to eat crabcakes, but have never tried to make them. With the plentiful crab here, I really should give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crab cakes in the winter sound like the perfect solution to the winter blues. I can't wait to try these for my hubby. Thanks for linking to Saturday Swap!

    ReplyDelete