Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Chicken, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad

Like most people these days I am making a concentrated effort to eat healthier, trying is the operative word here. Recently while in the grocery store I found this magazine, "Veggie Full", a publication by Better Homes and Garden.
I knew after thumbing through the first time that this publication was a keeper and I will be preparing multiple recipes from the magazine. Last night I prepared the first one.
 
"Chicken, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad"
 
5 Tbs. olive oil
1 to 1 1/2 lb. chicken breast tenders
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 Tbs. snipped fresh thyme
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
1 medium cucumber, cut into thin ribbons
2 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup pitted green olives, halved and/or sliced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese, (4 oz.) optional
 
In a large skillet heat 1 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat. Lightly sprinkle chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Cook chicken in hot oil 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink, turning once.
 
For the vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar combine the remaining 4 Tbs. oil, the vinegar, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and shake to combine.
 
On a platter, arrange chicken, cucumber ribbons, sliced tomatoes, and olives. Drizzle vinaigrette over top. If desired, sprinkle with feta cheese. Makes 4 servings
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Assembly was quick and easy. Most ingredients I already had on hand. The thyme came from my herb garden and gave the vinaigrette a freshness that you don't achieve with dried thyme.

A lovely composed salad that had WOW factor.
 
My Mr. Picky Eater thought it to be delicious as well. He doesn't care for olives or Feta Cheese but ate every morsel on his plate, LOL. Without the olives and feta I think it would have been very bland but this was a combination of flavors that was terrific.
 

This definitely was a quick and easy light dinner that was amazingly good. Fresh ingredients and the sliced green olives and feta made a huge difference. I have found that buying feta in a block rather than already crumbled is a huge taste difference and I also think fresh thyme from the garden made a big taste difference as well. Many of you may not have herb gardens but they are so very easy to grow. Don't have a space in your garden, grow them on your deck or patio in containers but they can also be grown inside with the proper light. Fresh herbs, a " Good Thing".

I will make this salad again and again. Not only did it get an A plus from Mr. Picky Eater but I thought it was outstanding.
 
I will also be trying other recipes from this publication and will share.
 
Enjoy your day everyone,
Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I will look for the magazine as I could use a little help in the veggie department. The salad looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete