Sunday, May 22, 2016

A Patriotic Flower Design

I do not consider myself to have a lot of design skills especially when it comes to flower arranging but I do have a passion for arranging flowers. I guess one would say it is a stress reliever for me and I get caught up in it if you can imagine that. That probably means I should do it more often. It is very different from cutting flowers from your garden and placing them in a pitcher or vase. It is a passion of mine and I hope that I hone my skills each time I arrange flowers.

Recently my husband and I were co-hostess's with several other couples for a political fund raiser. I was asked to do an arrangement for our food table.
It was a tall arrangement so I had to put it together in my kitchen on my French Pastry table, the ceilings were higher. I most often do my flower arranging in my laundry room since I have a deep sink there. In the laundry room the above cabinets interfered with the height of the arrangement. Most often I would have done this arrangement on site where it would be sitting but that wasn't possible since the Woman's Club would have charged us so much more for a couple of extra hours. Sooooooo, you make the adjustment but transporting this arrangement was kind of freaky. Let me just say that I sighed a breath of relief when it arrived to the destination all in one piece, it was very top heavy.
The added beauty of it was that I brought it home to enjoy for several more days. The container was one I had bought many years ago when my first son to marry had their rehearsal dinner. I had done an arrangement in this container for that event so it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I also used it for my two other children when they married. The container works perfectly on a food table since the arrangement is high enough that food actually can be served under it as well and doesn't take up a lot of room.
I had never done an arrangement with a patriotic theme either so this was fun. From picking out the flowers to actually putting the arrangement together.
 
I like to think of it as a work of art and I'm enjoying the heck out of the arrangement after our event. It is holding up very well after several days.
Thanks for visiting and please do come again.

2 comments:

  1. OMG Carolyn, I have the same vase! as a matter of fact I am looking at it right now. I even zoomed on the photo to make sure it was the same. You are right, we got it years and years ago! I am almost sure it was at Pottery Barn, the OLD Pottery Barn! Your arrangement is beautiful, truly very professional!

    ReplyDelete