Friday, April 29, 2016

Vegetable and Goat Cheese Quiche

A few weeks ago I was at a restaurant where I ordered a delicious Vegetable with Goat Cheese Quiche. I thought it was amazing so I tried multiple times to recreate this tasty quiche. I think I have finally succeeded. When I ordered this quiche in the restaurant it was the first time I had eaten a quiche with goat cheese. It made for a much creamier consistency and I dearly loved that consistency.

"Vegetable and Goat Cheese Quiche"

1 store bought pastry pie dough or if you prefer make your own, blind baked in a pie dish
2 Tablespoons butter
1 carrot, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
4 ounces Portobello mushrooms, finely diced
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces plain goat cheese at room temperature
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
3 eggs, room temperature
salt and pepper to taste
2 medium pear tomatoes, sliced and placed on paper towels

Preheat your oven to 375*

In a sauté pan add the butter, melt and then add the vegetables. Saute until slightly cooked but tender. Place the vegetables in the blind baked pie pastry shell.

Mix together the eggs, half n half, heavy cream, parsley, chives and thyme. Crumble up goat cheese into mixture and whisk vigorously . There will still be lumps of goat cheese but it is important to incorporate them as much as possible.

Pour into the pastry shell, top with sliced tomatoes and bake for about 30 minutes. It should not be jiggly in the middle. Test with a cake tester to make sure it is done in the middle.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An important note: I always buy goat cheese in a block. I find it to have better taste rather than goat cheese already crumbled.

It is important to assemble all of your ingredients before beginning.
I always use this fluted pie plate and to make things simple I use a premade pie crust. If I was trying to impress some guests I would make my own crust but for everyday use I find a premade pie crust works just as well.
The veggies are ready to go in.
Be careful not to over cook the veggies. You just want them slightly cooked just so they emit their flavors. They will cook in the oven also.
After adding your cream mixture top with the tomatoes. You can also add in some ham to the cream mixture as I did with this particular quiche.

It comes out of the oven lightly browned and a meal just by itself.
I added a small side salad and it made for a light but filling dinner. You have several vegetables and your protein as well. I can't think of a lighter dinner but yet delicious.
The addition of a glass of white wine rounds dinner out nicely.

A Cooks Note: I always keep in my oven an oven thermometer. I have a fairly new Wolf but I have found that when you preheat an oven it is almost never to the desired temperature. An oven thermometer is a "good thing". Even with my fairly new Wolf, the ding goes off and it is not up to the expected temperature. Try an oven thermometer if you don't already. You will be surprised.

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday.

Have a good weekend everyone, Carolyn

4 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this recipe. I will have some goat cheese that will be left over from tomorrow night's dinner and bridge and this will be a good way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a beautiful quiche! I actually just made a frittata for dinner the other night and the eggs were mixed with creme fraiche which was also wonderful. I love your baking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous quiche! It's chilly here today, and I would love to sit down with you and have quiche for lunch. Your recipe is featured today and tomorrow at Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been enjoying playing around with various quiche flavors. Love the idea of goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete