Thursday, December 28, 2017

Chicken Corn Chowder

Extremely cold weather all across this country right now so I thought this would be an excellent time to share this recipe. It is definitely comfort food and a very filling and delicious chowder.
Chicken Corn Chowder
 
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
3 cups chicken broth or stock
2 cups corn kernels (if using frozen they should be thawed)
2 cups diced cooked chicken cut into chunks, 1 1/2 pounds of chicken
2 cups diced red potatoes, skin on
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
green onion to garnish
 
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Add the celery and carrots, stirring frequently and sautéing for an additional 5 minutes.
 
Add the chicken broth, corn, chicken and potatoes. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
 
Add the half and half and paprika. Cook for an additional 10 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
 
Garnish with sliced green onion, Parmesan cheese or a drizzle of Black Truffle Oil.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
This recipe is creamy and hearty comfort food. An easy recipe loaded with fresh vegetables.
A rotisserie chicken works very well for this recipe but I had some chicken breasts and I chose to roast them myself. Seasoned with salt and pepper, drizzled with fresh lemon juice and added in some fresh herbs (lemon thyme) from my garden. It gave this soup a little additional flavor.
Of course, prepping everything in advance is essential. It makes putting this together so much easier.
 I thought this to be an amazingingly delicious and very hearty soup. I particularly liked the use of the new red potatoes in this recipe. I chose to top my soup with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.



I hope you will give this recipe a try and enjoy it as much as I did. This is definitely one I will prepare over and over again.
It is almost Friday and I will be sharing this post at Michael Lee's blogging party, "Foodie Friday". To see other wonderful recipes shared please click HERE.

1 comment: