Thursday, May 4, 2017

Berry-Ricotta Cake

A few weeks ago a blogging friend, Julie at Accounting For All My Blessings, posted this delicious little cake. I thought it sounded so yummy, not too sweet but would still satisfy that need. I couldn't wait to try the recipe. Julie posts many dessert recipes among so many other things, she is so very talented and I have never been disappointed when I have made any one of her recipes. This recipe was no exception, it's quite simply excellent.
 The use of the Ricotta gave it a rich moist texture. You can use any seasonal berry but I used raspberries since they were available and I love them. This cake went together quickly with all my ingredients prepped.
It is suggested to use a 9-inch round cake pan with a liner but I chose to use a fluted pan with a removable bottom. I loved the way it looked and it came out of the pan beautifully. I also used fresh berries but it's good to know that this little cake can be made anytime of the year working just as well with frozen berries.

Berry-Ricotta Cake

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups ricotta
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup frozen boysenberries, blackberries, or raspberries, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees  Line a 9-inch diameter cake pan with parchment paper and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Whisk eggs, ricotta, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth; fold into dry ingredients just until blended. Then fold in butter, followed by 3/4 cup berries, taking care not to crush the berries. Scrape batter into prepared pan and scatter remaining 1/4 cup berries over top.

Bake cake until golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before unmolding.

Top with whipped cream, if desired.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This cake did not last long in our house, my husband loved so much and he definitely has a sweet tooth.  I gave it a sprinkle of powdered sugar but he insisted on a topping of fresh whipped cream as well. He likes to gild the lily.

It was a delicious cake with a crunchy top as you take a bite and this is a great quick cake to have in your recipe file. Certainly would be a wonderful cake to serve as a dinner party dessert with a scoop of ice cream too, YUM. Thank you Julie for sharing this recipe.
 
Try this recipe, it's a KEEPER!!!!!
 
I am sharing this post at Foodie Friday.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Carolyn! I can't claim credit to the recipe, it came from Bon Appetite magazine, but I do like to share my finds. Glad you enjoyed It!

    ReplyDelete