Wednesday, February 8, 2017

A Darn Good Hurricane Cocktail

Most cocktail recipes are written to make one drink at a time but when you're having several people for dinner I prefer to make a pitcher of "something" for convenience. This cocktail fits the bill and they are delicious. How could you possibly go wrong with several different fruit juices, a happy mix and fresh fruit steeping in the mixture, a combination of tart and sweet that will have your guests coming back for more.

 
This is my nod to Mardi Gras but truthfully I make these year round. Since Mardi Gras is in full swing in New Orleans I thought it would be the perfect time to share. I found this recipe a number of years ago and have made a few changes along the way. Hurricanes got their start at Pat O' Brian's in the quarter of New Orleans. You don't go to New Orleans without trying one of these but I promise you this recipe is better.
 
New Orleans Hurricanes
 
1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
1 cup orange juice
1 cup Pomegranate juice
1/2 cup grenadine
1/2 cup simple syrup
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 cups light rum
1/2 cup dark rum
1/4 cup triple sec
a splash or two or three of Grand Marnier
 
Mix all ingredients together in a tall pitcher. Add slices of one orange and one lemon, cover tightly with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Serve over ice in your prettiest glasses and enjoy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 


Serving this cocktail comes with a warning, drink with caution, since it is a stout cocktail. Understandably since there are two different rums, triple sec and I give it a splash or two of Grand Marnier. The combination of fruit juices are amazing and using the best ingredients you can find is important.

 
 
Be sure to make your own simple syrup. You'll find that there is a taste difference in what you would buy already prepared. I make mine 1 to 1 but for this recipe I use 1/2 cup sugar to 1/2 cup water stirring constantly so the sugar won't burn and as soon as the sugar has melted take it off the burner for it to completely cool. When adding to the pitcher I add a little at a time and check for taste. You don't want them too sweet but a nice balance of sweet and tart. Most often I use the entire 1/2 cup of simple syrup but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It would be ashame to ruin this cocktail. You'll find that after the mixture steeps for several hours with the fruit the taste will definitely change. Using fresh fruit to steep in the final mixture is essential. It will impart a secondary flavoring, layered flavors. I never slice fresh limes to go in the mixture because I have found that it gives it a bitter taste that I don't like.
These are oh sooooooooo good. A perfect combination of flavors and they will keep in the refrigerator for several days if they last that long.

If you try this cocktail I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. My family thinks they are terrific too and request them often. I will be sharing this recipe this week at Foodie Friday where other many talented people share their favorites also.




2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, you know I love, love, love your delicious Hurricane cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I am really going to enjoy this cocktail. The participants at the Brown's class on May 1 is going to love it too. I promise to forewarn them.

    You are so right. It is important to use quality ingredients in a good cocktail.

    Thanks again, for sharing your famous recipe.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete