Monday, October 3, 2016

Chicken Cutlets With Herbed Mushroom Sauce

I found this recipe in a February issue of Southern Living,  2015, had torn it out but had never prepared it. While going through all my accumulated recipes recently that I had always intended to prepare this one caught my eye. I am so glad it did because I am always looking for a really good chicken dish and this one is delicious. The beauty of it is that it uses no cream to make the sauce but gets all of it flavor from fresh herbs. Now I do have an herb garden and love to use them whenever called I can.

Let's get started. You begin with halving each chicken breast lengthwise and then pounding the chicken to about a 1/4 inch thickness. I have used my Jacquard for this which has different disks for different tasks. Salt and pepper both sides of each piece. Then you put your flour mixture together which calls for chopped fresh thyme and chopped fresh rosemary. It is a very fragrant mixture and then you dredge the chicken in the mixture.

 
Using canola oil you brown each chicken piece on both sides.
I may have cooked mine a little longer than the recipe called for and the bits on the bottom of the pan only makes the sauce more tasty.
Then on to making the amazing sauce with Dijon mustard, my favorite chicken stock if I don't have my own, red wine vinegar, butter, Baby Portobello mushrooms and of course, three sage leaves.
This sauce was quite simply amazing and I loved the fact that there was no cream involved. Yes, of course, there was butter but I think a little is okay. I placed the chicken back into the pan to simmer just until heated through.
This was a simple, quick night dinner but yet elegant. Absolutely divine!!!!!

Chicken Cutlets With Herbed Mushroom Sauce

2 (8-oz) skinned and boned chicken breast
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
1/4 cup canola oil, divided
1 (8-oz.) package fresh Baby Portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
3 fresh sage leaves
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons butter
Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs

Halve each chicken breast lengthwise to form 4 cutlets. Place each cutlet between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a rolling pin or flat side of a meat mallet. Discard plastic. Sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides of chicken.

Place flour in a shallow dish, and stir in chopped thyme and rosemary. Dredge chicken in flour mixture; shake off excess. Cook 2 cutlets in 4 1/2 teaspoons hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove cutlets from pan, and repeat procedure with 4 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining 2 dredged cutlets.

Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to drippings in skillet; add mushrooms, and sauté' over medium high heat 4 to 6 minutes or until browned and all moisture evaporates. Stir in vinegar, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in broth and sage; bring to a boil. Boil until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; stir in mustard. Whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Spoon sauce over cutlets.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pared with a good glass of white wine made it perfect. A quick, easy and delicious dish and I didn't miss the cream at all that I usually add. The fresh herbs gave this chicken all the flavor it needed. I will definitely prepare this again and my very own Mr. Picky Eater loved it. And he says he doesn't care for chicken????
On Friday I will share this post at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee.

1 comment: