Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A new twist on My Favorite Blackberry Cobbler

I know I have posted before my recipe that I have tweaked and used for many years, My Favorite Blackberry Cobbler. Recently I found some delicious looking blackberry's and could not resist buying them since I was craving this cobbler. I don't usually buy blackberry's out of season but these were delicious and made an excellent cobbler.

With summer not far away I thought this to be an excellent time to do a repost of this recipe. Summer not far away meaning that in our area of North Florida we are already experiencing summer like temperatures in the mid 80's. However, we do expect a colder spell after our weekend rains, in the low 30's which will be appreciated.

As I made this cobbler I was reminded of a dear friend who passed this past year after a long battle with cancer. She absolutely loved this recipe and prepared it often even on her camping trips, several times calling me to ask if she had the right amount of baking powder or if it was a misprint. So this post is a tribute to my dear friend Monika.

The new twist on my go to Blackberry Cobbler recipe............ I baked it in a cast iron skillet for the first time. I absolutely love the crunchy sides/bottom and I think it made it even more delicious. I also love the rustic look of the presentation. I really should use my cast iron pans more often, they make everything taste better.

My Favorite Cobbler

1/2 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1 cup milk
1 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups sliced peaches, blackberries, or blueberries

Preheat oven to 350*.

Melt butter in a 2-quart casserole dish as the oven is preheating. Mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, salt, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg. Mix thoroughly. Mix 1 cup milk and 1 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients and do not over mix. Mix them together just before you are ready to pour in to your casserole dish.

In separate bowl place fruit and 1/2 cup of sugar.

Pour flour mixture over butter; do not stir. Place fruit on top of wet mixture, do not stir. Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes or until bubbly and desired browning. Serve warm with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Notes: I put together all three separate entities together prior to mixing all together, dry ingredients, wet ingredients and fruit mixture. Just so when the oven reaches temperature everything is prepped and ready to go together.

This recipe is so quick, easy and yet Simply Delicious. I never tire of it and the good news is that you can substitute any fruit that may be in season or a combination of your favorites. The crust rises up and over the fruit which is why so much baking powder is required.
The combination of freshly grated nutmeg and almond extract is pure heaven if you particularly like those two ingredients which I do.

 
If you try this recipe you won't be disappointed. I most often enjoy ice cream on top but didn't have any at the time. If you have some heavy cream lurking in your refrigerator, freshly whipped cream works as an excellent substitute. Where is my rolling eyes smiley face when you need it?

 
This is a family favorite at my house and so easy to whip up. I hope it becomes a family favorite at yours as well. Enjoy!!!!


2 comments:

  1. I love Blackberry Cobbler and can't wait to try your recipe! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am copying your recipe as I really like cobblers and also cooking in my cast iron skillet. I already baked some brownies for the first time in this skillet a while back and they turned out very nicely. They had lovely blackberries at Costco last week – I’ll go back and see if they still have some and make your recipe.

    ReplyDelete