Thursday, February 11, 2016

Cabbage and Sausage Stew

I was gifted recently with some delicious smoked sausage. My friend wanted me to try this sausage after she had had another recipe of mine that I had made for my Garden Circles Soup Luncheon recently also using sausage. I had used a smoked sausage that is made here locally and I have always loved that sausage. I now am a convert and really liked the sausage my friend had brought me. Now every time she goes to Destin where she buys it she will just have to bring me some as well.

I came across this recipe recently and thought it to be excellent.

Cabbage and Sausage Stew

1 1/2 pounds Country Smoked Sausage, sliced
2 pounds red potatoes, medium chopped, unpeeled
2 medium size onion's, chopped
3 carrots,medium chopped
1/2 of a cabbage, chopped
5 to 6 cups chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
dash of Cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

In a hot Dutch oven brown the sausage on both sides in the oil and remove it from the pot. Pour off all the oil from the sausage reserving 2 Tablespoons. Brown the onions in the sausage oil and add the sausage back into the pot. Add the garlic, thyme, parsley, nutmeg, Cayenne, salt and pepper and mix well being carful to not burn the garlic.

Add the chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, cabbage and mix well. Bring the stew to a boil and then cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

If you want to thicken the stew mix 2 Tablespoons of room temperature butter with 2 Tablespoons flour.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is necessary to brown the sausage on both sides. It makes for a more appealing presentation in the stew.
 This soup went together so simply and the fragrance in the kitchen was amazing.
An excellent soup for a chilly winter evening. True comfort food at it's best.
 
I topped the stew with a generous sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and also a drizzle of black truffle oil. The black truffle oil just puts it over the top in my opinion.
 

This was an amazingly delicious stew and a wonderful way to use my gifted sausage. Enjoy!

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Rattlebridge Farm. You can click HERE to enjoy other wonderful recipes.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds delicious! As I read blogs late this afternoon I have Jambalaya simmering on the stove. I had some sausage and shrimp and chicken and it smells heavenly. Jambalaya is not even remotely a Pacific Northwest dish, but it is yummy on a cold and damp night.

    ReplyDelete