Monday, July 6, 2015

Blueberry Season

It is that time of year when blueberries are in season and soon to be ready to pick. I know we get blueberries in our super markets almost year round but there is nothing like the fresh taste of blueberries right off the bush.

We have numerous blueberry bushes at our farm in South Georgia and last checked they are almost ready for picking. We have so many blueberries that we share with any of our friends and family who want to come up and pick. The birds are enjoying them as well. I plan to pick as much as I can and freeze them for future use and plan to try as many blueberry recipes that I have time to prepare.

This particular bush being in full sun is always loaded with berry's. Another benefit of our farm is that my husband often plants sunflowers in the field beyond and the beauty sitting on our rocking chair front porch is amazing.
 
 
Recently I prepared a recipe that was shared by a  fellow blogger for a Lemon Blueberry Cake, Julie at Accounting For All My Blessings. I have made many cakes that were made with blueberries and lemon and most were like pound cakes. I've prepared them in many different ways but this is the first time I had prepared or even eaten a Blueberry Cake with a Cream Cheese frosting. This was one of the most amazing cakes I have ever eaten and my family just loved it.

 
Lemon Blueberry Layer Cake

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
Zest and juice from 3 medium lemons
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Cream cheese frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 to 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour three 9x2-inch cake pans spraying each pan with baking spray. Note: you can use two cake pans, increase the baking time.

Using a mixer with a paddle attachment (or a handheld mixer), beat the butter on high until creamy, about 1 minute. Add granulated and brown sugars and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the side and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until everything is combined, about 2 full minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Set aside.

In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Beat on low speed for 5 seconds, then add the buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir lightly until everything is just combined. Toss the blueberries in 1 tablespoon of flour and fold into the batter. The batter is thick, do not overmix as you will have a tough, dense cake!

Spoon batter evenly into the 3 prepared cake pans. Bake for about 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto racks and let cool completely before frosting.

To make the frosting, in a mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until no lumps remain, about 3 minutes. Add 4 cups confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon cream, and vanilla extract, with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Check for thickness, adding more confectioners' sugar if too thin or more cream if too thick. You want it spreadable.

Using a large serrated knife, trim the tops off the cake layers to create a flat surface. Place 1 layer on your cake stand. Evenly cover the top with frosting. Top with 2nd cake layer, more frosting, the 3rd cake layer. Top with frosting and spread around the sides. Top with blueberries and/or lemon garnish, as desired. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before cutting.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was probably one of the BEST cakes I have ever made, any cake made with buttermilk is IMO outstanding. I think one of the things I liked most about it was the unique and wonderful texture.

My husband liked it so much he has already asked me to bake this cake again. It didn't last long in my house. I prepared this cake for a family dinner and everyone in our family just loved it including all the children. This cake is truly a keeper and I am so glad to have it in my repertoire. Thanks so much Julie for sharing this wonderful recipe.
If you happen to have some fresh blueberries on hand you should try this recipe. You won't be disappointed.
I didn't even get it properly decorated. This cake was still scrumptious even without the adornment of blueberries and lemon slices.




Linking to: Outdoor Wednesday and Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm.



6 comments:

  1. Love, love, love blueberries. This recipe is a keeper!!!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I've lost track of you, old friend! The last link I had in my blog list was to a Wordpress blog and that past was over a year ago :-/. I've put this URL in my blog list now so I should get your updates. What a gorgeous dessert! I know I would love it! I'm also very jealous of your blueberry bushes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed the cake, Carolyn, we did too! Love the pics of your farm, especially the sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummie! Looks very delicous and i like the sunflowers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had blueberry bushes, or at least a slice of that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering just looking at the pictures. Lemon and blueberries are such a wonderful combination, and who doesn't' like cake? I'll be trying this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete