Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cooking 101

My whole life I have never been one to care much for Meatloaf. However, I have never known a man that didn't absolutely love a good meat loaf. Many years ago I was on a quest to find one that my family would like but also one that I had to really enjoy myself.

Now I have tried many meatloaf recipes from one my mother in law use to make to several of Martha Stewarts recipes including one that had minced carrots in it and wrapped in bacon. Now that was a good recipe but not one that I would prepare on a regular basis when my family had that hankering for Meatloaf.

A few year ago a friend gave me this recipe that she had acquired from her mother in law and it is delicious. It has truly become a family favorite. I'm not one to add everything in the refrigerator to muddy up the taste of good ground round but this one is excellent.

My Favorite Meatloaf
 Serves 4-6


1 1/2 pounds ground round

1/2 pound ground pork

1 onion, chopped

1 egg, beaten

3/4 cup chili sauce, (I use Heinz)

1 cup water

2 teaspoons vinegar

3/4 to 1 cup plain bread crumbs

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

2 teaspoons brown sugar




Mix beef, pork, onions, egg, half of chili sauce,  bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Form into a loaf and place in a 9X13-inch baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.



















 In a small bowl, combine the rest of the chili sauce, water, vinegar mustard, and brown sugar. Stir until smooth and pour over the meat in the oven. Continue baking for 1 hour. Baste occasionally.





 
 
 
  Out of the oven and it is moist and delicious. I think the biggest difference in this meatloaf are two things, there is just the right combination of ingredients to not overwhelm and also the use of the Chili Sauce.
 
 
 

Pared with a pot of green beans and some fingerling potatoes and you have comfort food at it's best. For the green beans, I brown two chopped pieces of Maple Bacon, saute' one medium onion until slightly carmelized, pour in a quart of good chicken stock (I use Kitchen Basics), deglaze the pan, add in cut up green beans and fingerling potatoes, bring back up to a boil, place a lid on top and simmer until tender.




This is pure heaven to my family and I believe comfort food at it's best. I hope you will  try it the next time your family is hungry for Meatloaf.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe. I will give it a try. I love a good meatloaf. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My...this looks and sounds amazing! My family loves meatloaf! I think this will be our Sunday dinner! Thanks for the recipe!

    I hope you are enjoying a beautiful weekend!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a good meat loaf -- Daughter Sarah made one while she was here and I thought it was better than mine! This looks delicious. I've never found that perfect meat loaf recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this. Paired with the green beans and potatoes it reminds me of what my mother used to put on the table. We enjoyed the leftover meatloaf in sandwiches too.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete