Friday, May 8, 2009

Lemon Olive Oil Cake

Sometimes one just feels like getting into the kitchen. Today was my day to make some chicken stock with a left over Roasted Chicken and I have also been craving one of my favorite cakes that I would like to share.



This is a wonderful and simple cake that I have made many times. It's like a pound cake in that you could add anything you wanted to this cake such as some fresh berries and whipped cream. The recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Olives and Oranges, Recipes & Flavor Secrets from Italy, Spain, Cyprus & Beyond by Sara Jenkins and Mindy Fox.


Lemon Olive Cake is a moist, light cake with an unusual texture. Different from a pound cake texture. There is just a light hint of lemon and the olive oil gives it this different texture and also keeps it moist.


I especially enjoy this cake with no garnish but by itself with my favorite cup of tea.

Lemon Olive Oil Cake

Slow-Cook Recipe/ Makes 10 servings

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Put oven rack in center position and heat oven to 325*. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.

With an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on high speed for 5 minutes, or until pale and thick. Add yogurt and zest; beat to combine. With mixer on medium speed, add oil in a quick, steady stream. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture just until blended. Whisk batter by hand to make sure that all ingredients are incorporated.

Pour batter into pan. Bake, rotating pan once, until cake is golden, center springs back to the touch, and edges pull away from pan, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for a minute or two on rack, then release from pan and let cool completely on rack before slicing.

NOTE: I used Greek yogurt and this is the time to use your very best olive oil.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about one of my favoirte cakes. If you try this cake you will not be sorry.

3 comments:

  1. I'm currently collecting cake recipes so I will definitely give this one a try. Sounds really good, thanks for sharing.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it does sound so good. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn -- this is a favorite cake of ours as well -- love your blue and white!

    ReplyDelete