Thursday, February 16, 2012

Capellini al Forno

I dearly love Italian food especially pasta, it is my guility pleasure. Recently I tried a new recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis that I saw her prepare on her FN program. I have all of Giada's cookbooks but found this recipe was not in any of her books. Since she has another book due to be out in March I think this recipe may appear in that latest book. It was a winner and a keeper of a recipe.



The book is due to be out March 27. I am looking forward to this new book since I cook from Giada's books often.


This recipe went together very easily and out of habit I always cover the bottom of my spring form pan with aluminum foil.



Dotting the top with the remaining butter insured that it browned nicely.

Capellini al Forno

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing pan
1 pound capellini (angel hair) pasta
1 cup plus 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
3 eggs, at room temperature, beaten
3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1 pound prosciutto, sliced 1/8-inch thick and coarsely chopped
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 (25-ounce) jar marinara or tomato-basil sauce, warmed

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch diameter nonstick spring form pan. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain well and place in a large bowl. Add 4 tablespoons butter, 1 cup Parmesan, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss well until coated.

Sprinkle 1/4 cup breadcrumbs in the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread 1/3 of the seasoned pasta on top. Arrange half of the prosciutto in a single layer on top. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella on top. Add 1/3 of the pasta and push down lightly to form an even layer. Repeat the layers with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, the remaining pasta, prosciutto, and mozzarella. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and Parmesan together. Sprinkle over the layers and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Drizzle with olive oil and bake until light golden on top, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.

Remove the sides of the pan and cut the pasta into wedges. Serve with warm marinara sauce.



I loved how the layers looked when the sides of the spring form pan were removed from the pan and it was absolutely delicious. If you do not care for prosciutto you could use ham but the prosciutto was wonderful. A must in this dish was the smoked mozzarella and I had difficulty finding it but you should NOT make a substitution in this case, it gave a wonderful flavor.



This is not the best of photographs but it was soooooooo yummy. I will definitely prepare this recipe again. Pared with a simple Mixed Green Salad it made for a memorable dinner.

It is Friday and I am joining Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Designs by Gollum. There are many wonderful recipes shared at this blogging party and you can see others by clicking HERE.

15 comments:

  1. That looked delish! I love anything Giada's as well! Lovely choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, might have to add it to my list :)
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fabulous Carolyn. I love Giada's recipes too.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like Giada's recipes too. This looks delicious and has a "wow" presentation. Thanks for sharing.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fabulous, and is something different from the same old humdrum meals. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I think I just died and went to food Heaven! I am a bit of a pasta addict and I love Giada's recipes. I've made many of them, but I hadn't seen this one yet. I was thinking about buying her new cookbook, but now that I've seen this, it's a done deal! I'll definitely be putting this in my recipe file. Thank you so much for sharing it, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw your post on Foodie Friday. You have a lovely blog, and I am a new follower. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's gorgeous! I'm definitely saving this recipe - it makes for such a lovely presentation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks yummy and I may do this for my lunch bunch in March!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love her recipes, simple and good. I've never been disappointed. On the docket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolyn, this looks so good! Now I would like to make this for our Sunday Dinner this weekend! Thank you.

    Francie

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delicious! My husband could stare at Giada all day, all night (laugh).

    Thanks for sharing and letting us know that she has a new cookbook soon to be on the store shelves.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the presentation on this. Rao's makes the best marinara sauce. Don't know if you have tried it but I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete