Friday, October 16, 2020

It's Fall and Time For Soup

 I love a good soup anytime of the year but one of my favorites is a Mushroom Bisque. This recipe is definitely worthy of sharing and I prepared it recently.

You can use a mixture of mushrooms when they are in season but this time I used baby Portobello's so I suppose I should call it Portobello Mushroom Bisque. It is always a good idea to gather all of your ingredients ahead of time. I even measure out the flour and salt and pepper in advance. It makes the soup go together so much easier.
I am very particular about what chicken stock I use if I don't have any of my own in the freezer. The one pictured is the only one I will use, I find it to be the most flavorful. I usually get unsalted because I like to control the salt in any recipe also.
The fragrance wafting through the house is amazing.

Portobello Mushroom Bisque

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 large yellow onion (about 12 oz.) chopped
1 pound baby Portobello mushrooms, wiped or brushed clean, and chopped
3 tablespoons all purpose flour 
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar (do not leave this out)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, optional


In a 6 quart pot melt the butter, add the leeks and onion and sauté over medium heat until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms, stir to combine, cover, and cook 10 minutes longer. Raise the heat to medium, stir in the flour, and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the thyme, bay leaf, stock, salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, for about 10 minutes.

Cool the soup slightly, then discard the bay leaf and puree the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in the blender. Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and add the cream. Cook over low heat until heated through, but do not let the soup boil. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Ladle into warm bowls, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

Note: This will serve 8 as a first course. I also tie my herbs in a bundle and just drop them in.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally prefer using an immersion blender and find it invaluable.
Pared with a Mixed Green Salad and some crusty bread this makes for an excellent dinner. I have also served it as a first course for a dinner party and got rave reviews. This soup is a keeper.
Instead of parsley I topped mine with seasoned croutons and a drizzle of black truffle oil.
The black truffle oil takes it to the next level in my opinion. I am a huge fan of black truffle oil.
If you should have any leftover it is an excellent soup for a lunch also.

If you try this soup you won't be disappointed and it is so very easy. If serving it for a dinner party it can easily be prepared the day before withholding the cream. I think the next time I prepare it I will give it a splash of cognac, now that sounds really good to me.

Enjoy your weekend, Carolyn







No comments:

Post a Comment