Monday, August 17, 2020

Summer Tomato Pie

 Right now in the middle of summer I expect we all are getting some delicious tomatoes. Every time my husband visits our local farmers market he brings home so many tomatoes but all is good because we both love tomatoes. With one exception, I have never cared for a tomato sandwich. That is such a Southern thing but I admit to NEVER caring for them.

I do, however, LOVE a good Tomato Pie and I find my recipe particularly tasty.


Tomato Pie

One 9-inch deep dish pie crust, prebaked according to package drictions

3 to 4 juicy tomatoes, sliced about 1/4" thick

8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped

1/3 cup green onion, chopped, white and green parts

Salt and pepper to taste

2 cups Mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup mayonnaise

Parmesan cheese

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer tomato slices, basil, and onion in a pre-baked pie shell. Add salt and pepper. Mix together grated cheese and mayonnaise and spread on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes or until to desired browning. Let cool for about 10 minutes before slicing pie.


This is such an easy pie to prepare and it is soooooooo tasty. I am of the opinion that you can't have too much Parmesan cheese on anything.

This is exactly why I did not put an amount in the recipe. Use as much or as little as you want. It will also make a beautifully browned pie.


 Many people do a mixture of half mozzarella and half cheddar. I have made it with the cheddar but I personally prefer using just a good mozzarella. Some people use just cheddar and I love a good cheddar but using the mozzarella just seems to go better with these particular ingredients, in my opinion.


This is an easy Sunday night dinner and pares well with a fresh fruit salad. Add an excellent glass of wine and you have the perfect Sunday night fare.

I hope you'll try this recipe, it's not only a great way to use up those lucious tomatoes but it is addictive as well.

I hope you all have a wonderful and productive week.

Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn, when I saw this tomato pie on Instagram, it looked so delicious. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, I will definitely try it. Wishing you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete