Monday, April 13, 2020

Blueberry Buttermilk Pie

I do believe I have done a post on this pie before probably last summer when we have a plethora of blueberries from our farm in South Georgia. I just made it recently again since I had some fresh blueberries and buttermilk that I needed to use up during this quarantine period. I saw something recently that rings so very true. During this quarantine we are either going to become better cooks or have a drinking problem. I'm hoping for the first one but in all honesty I do believe I may be tittering on the second one. OOOPS

Now back to the pie, Buttermilk Pie is a Southern staple. Quick and easy, we usually have all of the ingredients on hand in our refrigerator's or pantry's but this is just a little different twist on an ole Southern favorite.

What could be more delicious I ask you? The sweetness and tartness of buttermilk with a bunch of fresh blueberries thrown into the mix. Add a dollop of freshly whipped cream and you have pure heaven.

Blueberry Buttermilk Pie

1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
1 (9-inch)store bought pie crust or your own pie crust
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup whole buttermilk
3 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place blueberries in the bottom of the piecrust. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, beat butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla at medium-low speed with an electric mixer until butter is in nickel-sized pieces, approximately 1 minute.


In a small bowl, stir together sugar, flour, and salt; stir into egg mixture. Pour into piecrust.

Bake until set, 60 to 65 minutes. (Cover with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary.) Let cool before serving.

 Top slices with freshly whipped cream, if desired.


Note: The blueberries rise to the top as a pecan pie would. I used a Pillsbury pie crust and whipped the heavy cream with a little added superfine sugar.
This is a quick and so very simple pie but yet so delicious. In the past I have used blueberries that I have picked from our farm in South Georgia and frozen them but had fresh ones so used those. It's good to know though that frozen ones will work just as well.
If you try this pie you won't be disappointed and I would love to hear if you enjoyed it. I hope you will enjoy it. It also keeps very well for several days in the refrigerator but I recommend bringing it to room temperature before serving again.

Have a wonderful day and stay well during this time of quarantine.

Carolyn

3 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful, Carolyn! The blueberries from your farm must be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks delicious, I am going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that looks incredibly tasty. I adore blueberries in any way shape or form! xoxo

    ReplyDelete