Sunday, April 28, 2019

Blood Orange Margarita's

The weather here in N FL is warming up and timing is perfect for a cooling cocktail. A dear friend of mine gave me this recipe and I have since changed it up a bit, a little tweak here and there. I should also say that I am a stickler for using excellent ingredients, it does make a difference in the taste. For example, my choice of tequila is Patron but you may prefer something different.

The first time I made these I used freshly squeezed blood oranges but there is a very short season for blood oranges. We can get them from California but for only about a month. I have since found that Fresh Market and Whole Foods carry pure blood orange juice imported from Italy and I can get it just about year round.


Blood Orange Margarita's


1 cup tequila
1 cup triple sec
2 1/2 cups Margarita Mix
2 1/2 cups blood orange juice
1/2 cup simple syrup
lime squeeze in each glass

To make the simple syrup place 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan on low stirring constantly until the sugar has melted. I always make a cup since it will keep in the refrigerator for about two weeks and it must cool before putting these together.

Mix all ingredients in a tall pitcher. Rim a margarita glass with a cut lime and dip the rim in kosher salt. Place some ice in the glass, pour margarita into the glass, add a slice of lime and enjoy. These are delicious.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This will probably serve six.
I used Stirring's Margarita mix but some would use Jose Cuervo. I have made them with fresh blood oranges when they are in season but found that Fresh Market carried Saint Volcano 100% organic blood orange juice in the veggie area and I could not tell a difference between that and freshly squeezed blood oranges. Fresh Market has in the area where they sell milk a pasteurized blood orange juice that works just as well also.
When I make simple syrup I do 1 to 1 meaning 1 cup but taste the mixture before you add in the simple syrup. Everyone has a taste difference and I only put in 1/2 cup to this mixture and it was awesome. The next time I put in even less and liked it even better, I think I like a more tart cocktail. At first did the rim salt on the glasses but decided that I preferred not having it with this particular margarita. I normally do when I order a regular Margarita when I am out somewhere since that is my cocktail of choice. Didn't even use my pretty blue margarita glasses the second time I made these but always in a pretty piece of stemware. It definitely tastes better in an elegant glass.
 
If you like a really good margarita you should try this. They have become a favorite of mine especially on a warm afternoon. They are so refreshing.
Enjoy the remainder of your day, Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. This would be so tasty on a warm day when we get some! There is a Fresh Market nearby so I'll have to look for that Blood Orange juice. Thanks so much for the information, Carolyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn,
    It was nice to hear from you today.Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the Victoria feature.
    Hope you are enjoying your garden!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete