Sunday, August 27, 2017

Best of the South Peach Cobbler

This recipe has been my "go to" cobbler for years. Any fresh summer fruit works well and it's so easy to prepare. It has a rich buttery tasting cobbler and I love this recipe.
I have no idea of the calorie count nor do I care. Every now and then I throw caution to the wind and just indulge.
 
It certainly goes by much quicker if you have all the ingredients prepped. All ingredients you would have in your pantry if you happen to stroll in to a Farmers Market and find some fresh local fruit.
My husband found these peaches at our local Farmer's Market on Saturday. We actually had not had any peaches this whole summer. Most of the peaches in our surrounding area did not produce very well. I'm told it was because we had such a warm winter and there were not enough chilling hours. However, these came from North Carolina which I have had before. Absolutely nothing beats Chilton County peaches in Alabama, soooooooooo delicious but their peach groves were not very productive either so I am told. These were not very sweet but a perfect choice for a cobbler. With added sugar, I can remedy that.
 
Best Of The South Peach Cobbler
 
1/2 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup whole milk
2 cups sliced peaches
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Melt butter in a 2-quart casserole dish, in the oven as the oven preheats. Mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg and give it a good stir with a wire whisk. Add the milk and almond extract. Pour mixture over melted butter; do not stir. Sweeten peaches to taste using about 1/2 cup of sugar. Place peaches on top of mix, again do not stir. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream or freshly whipped cream.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you use a really good quality almond extract, it can make all the difference in the world I have found. This is what I use.
I cannot emphasize more that when you pour the batter and then the peach mixture on top into the dish, don't stir it around to mix it. The batter rises to the top and surrounds the peaches. And yes, you did read the recipe correctly, it does call for 3 teaspoons of baking powder and this is the reason why. That has always been my most asked question when sharing this recipe. 
 It's a rich buttery tasting recipe with a little crunch around the edges. It doesn't get any better.

Before serving this I couldn't help myself, I had to taste to make sure it was good. I hope you'll give this a try. It's a quick, easy but delicious dessert and works well with not only peaches but blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries. A combination would be amazing. I'm thinking peaches and blueberries if I can get some more delicious peaches this week.
 
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
 
 Enjoy, Carolyn
 

2 comments:

  1. Cobblers and buttermilk pies are two of my very favorites. Your southern peach cobbler is delightful. This would not last in my house.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn, it is nice to see your blog again. I have started viewing Instagram and have sent you a request to follow your pictures on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete