Thursday, March 23, 2017

Lentil Country Salad

This is a recipe from one of Lidia Bastianich's cookbooks, one of my most favorite cookbook authors. I have wanted to try this recipe for such a long time and finally did today. Lidia mentions that it keeps well in the refrigerator and can be served warm or cold. I made it for my lunch and I found that I loved this salad.
It is such a healthy dish loaded with fresh vegetables, carrots, celery, onions and of course the Lentils. I used Green Lentils for this salad since that is my preference.
Such a simple salad to put together, you place the rinsed lentils in a rather large sauce pan, add the vegetables and 3 bay leaves and 2 quarts of water. I wanted to gild the lily somewhat so I used 2 quarts of chicken stock instead of water. No other seasonings and brought to a boil and then simmered for 30 minutes.
Most of the flavor comes from the vinaigrette which has cooked pancetta, white wine, and white-wine vinegar and salted at the end. How bad can that be?
For my lunch I added a couple of sprinkles of freshly grated parmesan cheese, YUM. This is a healthy salad great for lunch but also pares well with most any meat as a side dish. Lidia suggests it as a summer side dish with most any grilled meats. This is a recipe that will have a spot in my repertoire of excellent salads. I was not disappointed.
 
 
Lentil Country Salad

serves 6 to 8
1 pound dried lentils, rinsed and drained
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups peeled, diced carrots
2 cups diced celery
3 fresh bay leaves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces pancetta, diced
1/3 cup white wine
3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

In a large saucepan, combine the lentils, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, and 2 quarts of water. Bring to a simmer, and cook until the lentils are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Drain, and remove the bay leaves. Scrape the lentils and vegetables into a serving bowl.

Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pancetta, and cook until crisp, about 4 minutes. Pour off most of the fat, and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the wine and vinegar, and season the dressing with the salt. Bring to a quick boil, then pour the dressing over the lentils. Toss with the parsley and serve.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I mentioned I used 2 quarts of my favorite chicken stock instead of water. That was my only change with the exception of adding more salt after tasting the salad. It is a winner, a great salad to serve to friends for luncheon. I hope you will try it and enjoy it as much as I did.


I am sharing this recipe at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Rattlebridge Farm. To see other outstanding recipes shared please click HERE.





1 comment:

  1. We love lentils, but I have never heard... or thought of... using them as a salad. What a unique idea! ;) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete