Thursday, March 30, 2017

A Great Asparagus Soup

When mother nature begins to awaken and Spring plants begin to bloom I always  think of Asparagus Soup. It is a favorite Spring soup, most often served cold but I like a hot Asparagus Soup on those still chilly evenings as well.

I recently saw this recipe and it was very different to most Asparagus soups I have made. Made with Vidalia onions, a little white wine, Monterey jack cheese added in and also 1 1/2 cups of Parmesan cheese. Now I ask you, how bad can that be? It was a taste treat, not low on calories, of course, but worth the extra calories frankly.
 
Creamy Asparagus Soup
 
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup Riesling wine
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups unsalted chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
juice of one lemon
1 (8-ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Garnish: chopped fresh chives and a sprinkle of black truffle oil
 
In a Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Add asparagus, onion, celery, and garlic; cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine; cook for 2 minutes scraping up any browned pieces on the bottom. I think Emeril calls them yum yum's. Add flour; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken broth, whisking until smooth. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
 
In the container of a blender, puree asparagus mixture in batches until smooth. Return asparagus mixture to Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cream, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, salt, and lemon zest, whisking until smooth. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add cheeses, stirring until melted. Add the lemon juice and season to taste. Serve and garnish with chives and/or truffle oil (optional).
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was slightly time consuming but only because of the prep work, dicing up the veggies, getting everything measured but it is well worth the effort. Make sure to use a good white wine, one you would drink with this soup. I actually used a Pinot Grigio and it was excellent. I seldom even buy a Riesling because of the sweetness.


It smelled heavenly and this is such a departure from my usual Asparagus Soup. I've never added in any cheeses, usually I'll top it with Parmesan but this was outstanding with the cheeses in the soup. Not for those who are watching calories but it's not something you'll prepare every week either. Take that departure.
I dearly love black truffle oil and usually do top any cream soup with it but it is definitely a matter of taste. If you've never tried truffle oil this would be a good time to do so. It is truly a garnish that will put any cream soup over the top in my opinion.
If you enjoy a good Asparagus Soup you should give this recipe a try, it is outstanding, a taste treat. It's Friday and I am sharing my post at a blogging party called Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Rattlebridge Farm. To see other excellent recipes shared just click HERE.
 
Have a wonderful weekend, Carolyn




2 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful, Carolyn. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup looks fabulous! I love asparagus soup anyway and, joy for joy, it contains Riesling and I always have that on hand because I LOVE Riesling! Thanks, I'm trying this.

    ReplyDelete