Monday, January 2, 2017

Gruyere, Ham, and Spinach Strata

I hope everyone had a safe and Happy New Year's Eve. I'm busy getting decorations packed away and getting life back to normal. I prepared this strata over the holidays and thought it worthy of sharing.

This strata was my choice for a breakfast casserole Christmas morning this past Christmas. I also served with Mimosa's, of course, and fresh fruit. It was quite simply, delicious. I got it from a blogging friend many years ago. I had an excellent Ham and Cheese Strata recipe but I loved the addition of the spinach in this particular recipe.
 
Prepping is the key element for this egg dish or any recipe going together quickly. A really good French bread is essential as well or your favorite artisanal bread.
 
 
It smells heavenly too. Let me think what Emeril would say, "I wish we had smell-a-vision." Sooooo true.
 
 
Gruyere, Ham, and Spinach Strata
 
10 ounce frozen spinach, thawed
1 1/2 cups onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound thick sliced black forest ham, cut in 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 cups French bread, cut in 1-inch cubes
2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
1 cup Parmigiona-Reggiano cheese, grated
2 3/4 cups milk
9 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
 
Drain the thawed spinach, using your hands to squeeze as much water from it as possible. Once the spinach is drained finely chop it.
 
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add butter and onions. Sauté' until the onions soften. Place the spinach in the pan and add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Once combined remove from the heat.
 
Mix the two cheeses together in a bowl.
 
Grease a 3 quart  gratin dish with softened butter and spread 1/3 of the bread across the bottom of the dish. Next add a layer of the spinach mixture. Layer 1/3 of the ham on top of the spinach and then sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the ham. Repeat layers two more times reserving the last third of the cheese mixture to be sprinkled over the top after adding the egg mixture.
 
Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the strata, ad the last cheese layer and then cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator overnight or at least 8 hours, up to 1 day.
 
When ready to bake the strata preheat the oven to 350* F. Bake uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes or until puffed, golden brown, and cook through. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
 
My Notes: I used a 9X13 ceramic dish.

This is a quick, easy and delicious breakfast casserole. It would be excellent for any special occasion or brunch dish anytime of the year. I must say, my husband loved it and that says a lot since I most often refer to him as Mr. Picky Eater.
 
Now, if you are going to make Mimosa's anytime soon you might try my version. They are quite simply delicious. The night before I plan to serve them I rim my champagne flutes with Grand Marnier and then dip them in superfine sugar. Leave them sitting out so they harden and then when ready to serve fill the glass half full with orange juice, half full with champagne and give each glass a splash or two of Grand Marnier. You'll never drink Mimosa's any other way. It's amazing how the Grand Marnier kicks up the flavor.
 
 I will be sharing this recipe on Friday for "Foodie Friday" at Rattlebridge Farm. To enjoy other recipes shared just click HERE.
 


4 comments:

  1. This breakfast bake looks delicious! I'll need to try it. I have to say, Kickin' your mimosas up a notch is hilarious! A woman after my own heart! Except my husband's ratios are more like 7/8 champagne and 1/8 OJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this breakfast casserole looks and sounds so good. I'm always looking for another casserole I can prepare ahead of time and just pop in the oven in the morning. I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks incredible! Seriously, it has all of my favorites. I mean, what's not to like about anything with gruyère cheese? Oh, how I wish I would have bought eggs the other day (I am completely out, can you believe it?!), because I would have put this together today. Thanks for the recipe. I'll be trying this for sure. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, this looks delicious and I'll definitely be trying it soon! I love make ahead breakfast casseroles and this one is a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete