Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Reprise~South Of The Border Squash

Here in the South we almost always have plenty of squash this time of year and many people like to have a Squash Casserole on their holiday table. This recipe I assure you is most unusual to the typical Southern Squash Casserole dish. I have indeed posted this recipe before but since it's the holidays I thought it should be posted again.

This recipe is probably my most requested dish to prepare. My family expects it on all holiday dinner tables and I like it so much that I start craving it so I MUST make it. It is very different from any squash casserole you have eaten or seen and even those folks who say they don't care for yellow squash, wellllllllllll they usually like this recipe. Men in particular like this dish. I think probably because of the green chilies which gives it a most unusual dimension but it is not at all hot to the taste so women like it as well. I have extremely picky eaters in my family so I think that says it all.


South of the Border Squash Casserole
 Serves 6


1 cup chopped onion
2 1/2-3 pounds yellow squash, sliced
2  tablespoons butter
1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 egg
1 cup cottage cheese, small curd
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9x13 inch pan or 2-quart casserole dish. In a skillet, sauté’ onion and squash in butter until tender. Stir in chilies, flour, salt and pepper. Pour into casserole. Sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese on top. Stir together the egg, cottage cheese, and parsley. Spread this mixture over the Monterey Jack cheese.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

My Notes: The cottage cheese mixture is a little difficult to spread but be patient, it will spread over the entire pan. Depending on the oven it sometimes needs to be cooked a little longer. A nice light browning on the top.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I use a 12-inch saute pan for the squash and with summer's bounty of yellow squash why not try a new and different squash casserole.
 It goes together very quickly and can be put together the day before to this point and ready to pop in the oven when needed. I always use my parsley from my herb garden and it gives a nice green color to the dish and also a special freshness.
Try this one, I am quite certain you will come to love it as well. A different take on a ho hum Squash casserole.

I hope each of you have a truly Blessed Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

  1. Carolyn, this looks delicious and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, This looks delicious. My squash casserole never turns out very good. This one looks amazing.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carolyn'
    Your squash casserole looks delicious...perfect for Christmas dinner.
    Hope you and your family have a lovely Southern Christmas.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, I must have an old URL for your blog in my blog list! I show the last post from you from a year ago! I'm going to re-add it and hopefully, I'll get your updated posts. What a wonderful winter casserole. I've never tried cheese with squash and would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete