Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas Dinner for four

Sometimes last minute ideas of having friends over for dinner  works the best. I have had my table ready and decorated for Christmas since last week so an impromptu dinner for four was easy. This is the everyday look in my breakfast/reading room decked out for Christmas and I enjoy having smaller dinner gatherings here.

 
I have had this Christmas cactus for several years and it was almost in full bloom when I had friends over for dinner so I decided to use it as my centerpiece. This was taken today and it is beginning to really open up. I love the apricot color of this Christmas cactus. I am focusing on using fresh plant material rather than faux so bringing plants in or cutting from my garden, it is a "Good Thing".
 
 
 
 
An impromptu dinner party for four was  especially easy since I have had my Christmas China out and using it everyday since the day after Thanksgiving.
 
 
 
I set the table early in the day so I could spend the rest of the afternoon in the kitchen whipping up something DIVINE. My Christmas China is Spode's Christmas Tree and I have had it for years. I would like to add to the creamed soups but haven't been able to find them recently.
 
 
No matter if it is dinner for twelve or four it becomes much more of a celebration with a festive glass of champagne.
 
 
 
When the lights were dimmed and the candles lit it became a special and enchanting dinner party.
 
 
 
 
 
I am linking this post to Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Le ton est donné, la fête va pouvoir commencer !... J'aime cette belle atmosphère de fête...

    Gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This room looks just lovely all decked out for Christmas! Your fireplace looks especially festive. :)

    Your Christmas cactus is so pretty; my mom has a big Christmas cactus that she's had for many years. I've always loved its bright pink blooms.

    I, too, like the Spode Christmas Tree pattern; I think it's the first Christmas china that I remember seeing when I was younger. Thanks for sharing your beautiful table, and have a wonderful week!

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome way to spend time with your friends. Dinner for four is a perfect number.

    Happy Holidays to you and your family.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn - what a great table and yes, the centerpiece is lovely. Nothing faux beats real! Last year my Christmas cactus did what yours did -- this year I think I got two blooms! Yours is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The table is lovely and the idea of a casual dinner with friends in anticipation of Christmas - well, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, have a Christmas cactus that blooms every year. It was given to me by my mother-in-law who passed away in 1996. Somehow I have managed to keep it alive and blooming. I like to think she is smiling down on us when the blooms open during the holidays each year.
    Good friends are the best. Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love your Christmas cactus! I have never seen an apricot colored one. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete