Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Repost,My Marinated London Broil

My cookbook book club group is getting together this weekend for our Christmas party. This will be a heavy appetizer dinner party. Our hostess chose for us to bring an appetizer from about 5 specific blogs instead of choosing from a specific cookbook. Three of us in our group do have food blogs so our blogs were, of course, on the list from which to choose an appetizer. I am reposting this recipe mainly so members in my group can see it, since they may want the recipe but this is a recipe that can be served as an entrée but works very well for an appetizer. Besides that those meat and potatoes men seem to love it when I bring this appetizer and husbands will be joining us. It will be sliced very thinly, served on appetizer size parker house rolls and the sauce is a horseradish mayonnaise. This will be a fun party which I am looking forward to and my "foodie friends" always serve up some of the absolute BEST choices.
I have used this recipe for at least 40 years and it has served me well. I was given this recipe by a friend and have changed it up somewhat but the proportions are perfect. I most often use this when cooking a London Broil on the grill but it would work just as well with cubed meat for Shish Kabobs. I usually don't share this recipe and have been asked for it many many times but then I thought, "How silly is that????"

Carolyn's Marinated London Broil

1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon pepper

Mix all ingredients together and place in a Pyrex dish. Add London broil and marinate in the refrigerator overnight turning frequently. I also poke holes in the London broil so the marinade can seep into the meat.
I usually get a fairly thick London broil and have found that if the London broil does not stick fairly tender when pierced it wouldn't tenderize if you marinated it for a week. But I must say even if a little tougher the flavor is excellent with this marinade. I also often marinade two in the same dish with just one recipe when having company.
We always use our charcoal grill for the best flavor but does just as well on a gas grill. I have tried roasting it in the oven using this marinade and DID NOT like the taste. It is a marinade specifically for grilling.
It is quite honestly delicious and more narrow ends that are not quite as rare are my favorite.
My Mr. Picky Eater is strictly a meat and potatoes kind of guy and this is one of his favorites. Leftovers are also fabulous simmered in your favorite Bar B Que Sauce and served on your favorite buns. Simply delicious!!! When grilling season begins in your area I hope you will give this marinade a try. My favorite way to serve this is with a Baked Potato with all of my favorite toppings and a simple Mixed Green Salad.

I am also sharing this post for Foodie Friday at Michael Lee's blog Rattlebridge Farm.

7 comments:

  1. Carolyn -- I can attest to how wonderful this marinade is! And it makes me realize that I need to do a London broil soon! Yours looks heavenly/!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Carolyn. I don't make LB often, but I'll give your marinade a try the next time I do. :)

    Thanks, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that London Broil looks delicious in the photos! I have a similar recipe that my cousin's husband gave for a marinade that he uses. I can't wait for Summer for grilling!
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious for dinner and oh what lovely sandwiches could follow! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really nice pairing of flavors in your marinade.I like it a lot. I can see why your meat and potatoes guys really enjoys it.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be trying this - it's always good to have a tried and true recipe that will garner some 'wows'. With all the guests that a spring wedding will bring I need lots of tricks up my sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so delicious! I have a favorite flank steak marinade but would love to try something different for a change. We grill all winter long unless the weather is really awful!

    ReplyDelete